Audax TW025A2 vs. Vifa DX25TG05-04

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have yet to see a Vifa tweeter that doesn't have a removeable dome and hence a removeable plate, but I also have yet to see a Vifa tweeter being used without its plate and/or rear mounted.

After having seen and handled a T33 in the flesh this afternoon I noticed that the dome material is unlike anything I have ever seen on a Vifa, it's much lighter and softer, like a Scan Speak.

well, let me see how the vifa DX25 works out. there's been a lot of criticism about it's 60 degree off axis response. two points. one. who seriously listens at 60 degrees off axis? two. did you see the on axis response? pretty fricken linear to 40khz! not perfect, but impressive nonetheless. a worthwhile experiment at the very least. of couse, i'm still learning all this and do not profess to be a skilled DIY'er by any stretch. but ya gotta start somewhere!

as far as finding NOS or used T33b, it might be a last resort and a resort i might not financially want to take for these reasons:

1. all T33, new or used, will have hardened ferro-fluid from my understanding. kind of like old foam surrounds. whether the driver was used or sealed in a box. the foam still rots. know what i mean?

2. the T33b was pretty much known as the biggest let down since the hype of being the successor to the famed T27. if you read old stereophile reviews, they loved everything about the KEF 105/2 and 107/2 except for the HF response.

so, if the DX25 is a little funky and phasy off axis, fine. it's not like the T27 was ever the smoothest thing anyway and i love it's presence nonetheless. i will say this. if the 104/2 are not a home run with the DX25, i will just cut my losses and sell the 104/2. right now, my KEF Calindas have a much more impactful presentation. they just bloom and the accuracy of the T27 is incredible. it's not used in all the LS3/5A for nothin'! the bass and lower mids are not as strong as with the 104/2, but i can live with that. and i have a powered B&W subwoofer for the BOOM.

thanks for all your help guys!

Robby

centaurus3200 said:
well, let me see how the vifa DX25 works out. there's been a lot of criticism about it's 60 degree off axis response. two points. one. who seriously listens at 60 degrees off axis? two. did you see the on axis response? pretty fricken linear to 40khz! not perfect, but impressive nonetheless. a worthwhile experiment at the very least. of couse, i'm still learning all this and do not profess to be a skilled DIY'er by any stretch. but ya gotta start somewhere!

as far as finding NOS or used T33b, it might be a last resort and a resort i might not financially want to take for these reasons:

1. all T33, new or used, will have hardened ferro-fluid from my understanding. kind of like old foam surrounds. whether the driver was used or sealed in a box. the foam still rots. know what i mean?

I'm not saying the Vifa isn't good, Vifa is one of my favorite driver maufacturer in fact, it's just that it might be challenging to install one in a highly customized KEF.

As for the new T33 I saw, they are sold with a full KEF warranty of course, coming from an authorized KEF dealer/service center. Ferw people would throw $300 at tweeters without some form of assurance against possible flaws. You get your money back if they don't work.

This being said, personally I wouldn't buy the T33's :D

First of all they're too expensive, secondly they aren't very up to date as far as technology goes and thirdly, I like to take advantage of breakdowns to bring equipment up to date even if it means some minor tweaking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.