ZEN noob question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I purchased the Zen board a while ago, and finally got around to populating the board. Everything is original with the exception of a 4.7uF film cap across C6, a 10uF cap across C3, and a .22R 10 watt for R1. I eliminated C1 and C2, because my supply consists of 392KuF with 2.2 mH coils, unloaded it provides 53 volts (I'm using very large heatsinks, hopefully it wont blow up). Now, I remember Nelson suggests setting P1 to half the rail voltage, what two points do I measure from?

Thanks
John

need help with zen attached
umm is feedback equal to r3/r1 or r3/r2
if it is r3/r1 r1 should be low value right? how low?

is this a good zen?

john

Attachments

• zen.jpg
    zen.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 371
Joined 2003
Paid Member
fired up the zen, sounded great for a few minutes...The solder from the Drain of Q2 keeps melting off, and R1 gave up the ghost. Could this happen if Q3 is in backwards. Q2 blew on the left channel as well, but R1 is intact. It worked fine yesterday, the only change I made was to the power supply; I paralleled the two 2.2mH inductors, in the series config, they nearly melted.

R1 .22 10W
Q1 IRFP140
Q2 IRFP9140
45V rails

John

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After blowing up a few mosfets with my 53V rails, it worked one day fine, the next it blew up:confused: Did some digging and reading up about parallel/bridged schemes, i'd like to try it out...or at least parallel first, as I dont have my XBOSOZ anywhere near completion, so balanced is out for now. The parallel is fairly straight-forward, in the future i'd like to bridge it and drive it balanced, but i'm not quite sure how to connect it. I'm not very good with some of the nomenclature, and I couldnt find an actual schematic of what some of these threads were describing...so here you go.

Attachments

• zen series-parallel.jpg
    zen series-parallel.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 179
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.