t-amp with fostex 127e bipole or FR125 bipole?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two modified SI t-amp which somebody placed into one case for me, with separate power supplies. It will be connected to a tube preamp.

I am planning on building a bipole full range speaker (bi-amped using the two SI t-amps) and I cannot seem to decide between these two bipoles:

1. Bipole Fostex FE127E on a sealed enclosure as designed by Gio. Bass seems to be lacking, so it might need subwoofer to cover the low-end.

OR

2. Bipole FR125 on a sealed enclosure as designed by Dave. This should have better bass than the Fostex.

My concerns: The Fostex should have better midrange and high clarity while the FR125 would have better bass.

Your thoughts?

I have both driver and enjoy both, but prefer the fostex. The added efficiency makes a big difference to me. I find that the fostex has more detail, but if placed in the proper enclosure can have the low end it often lacks. You are considering only sealed enclosures... any reason? A pair of Fonkens or any of the full range reference project enclosures would be very nice or bipolar minionken or a bipolar mltl. All would have much more bass, if that is what you are woried about.

Josh

Bi-amping two identical drivers (presumably with no crossover) doesn't confer the same benefits as bi-amping a traditional 2-way.

Doesn't seem like it would sound any better than just using a slightly larger amp. And you will get more power out of a T-Amp simply by wiring the two drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
If he uses one amp per channel he will get better stereo separation. Using one driver per channel of the amp is also a good way to get the most out of a low power amp like the SI as they're more efficient and sound better (my opinion) into an 8ohm load.

You could easily change between wiring the drivers in parallel and using only one channel or using one driver per channel and see which way you like better.

edjosh23 said:
A pair of Fonkens or any of the full range reference project enclosures would be very nice or bipolar minionken or a bipolar mltl. All would have much more bass, if that is what you are woried about. Josh

I was after a better midrange that is why I am using a sealed enclosure (which is not the most efficient design). :D

I need to know which of the two drivers (Fostex 127e and CSS FRS125) would give me a better bass on a sealed enclosure.

preiter said:
Bi-amping two identical drivers (presumably with no crossover) doesn't confer the same benefits as bi-amping a traditional 2-way.

Doesn't seem like it would sound any better than just using a slightly larger amp. And you will get more power out of a T-Amp simply by wiring the two drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

I will be bi-amping two identical drivers on a bipole, which I THINK will make a lot difference, versus bi-amping two identical drivers on the same plane.

I would not want to drive a 4 ohm load using a t-amp, I have read that it overheats the tripath chip.

BWRX said:
If he uses one amp per channel he will get better stereo separation. Using one driver per channel of the amp is also a good way to get the most out of a low power amp like the SI as they're more efficient and sound better (my opinion) into an 8ohm load.

You could easily change between wiring the drivers in parallel and using only one channel or using one driver per channel and see which way you like better.

This is how my two t-amps are wired.

Thanks.

:D

alexg said:

I need to know which of the two drivers (Fostex 127e and CSS FRS125) would give me a better bass on a sealed enclosure.

The FR125S will give you better bass, sealed or not.

The FE127E sealed bipole will need a sub @ ~80Hz

Take a look at Dave's page:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/sealed.html

F3~85Hz F10~46Hz

I would guess that needs a sub @ ~60Hz. Perhaps Dave can comment more.

Since I am really planning to use a subwoofer, I will definitely go with the Fostex FE127E, a friend here in the Philippines, also recommended for me to go with the Fostex.

Anyway, since I cannot audition both drivers and designs, I will consider building the CSS FR125S with a sealed bipole for my next project.

Thanks everybody.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.