A few questions on a new project, please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, gentlemen

Starting a new TMM project I need your advise to help me clarify a few questions:

1. What is from your experience the minimal acceptable distance between a bassreflex speaker with a port placed on the rear side, and the wall behind it? Will 10 cm (4in) distance be too close? If so, how will it affect sound? The room is very small – 4 x 2.5 m.

2. As an alternative, if I place the 2 inch port just next to a tweeter, will it be very bad? The port edges will be rounded by ½”.

3. For the bass/baffle step compensation woofer I am going to use a 5 mH inductor. Is it safe to use an air core inductor in terms of distortion, or you would suggest to go with an air core inductor with its big DC resistance?

Thank you in advance,

Misha

I build speakers for my pleasure which I find in both the process and the result.
This will be my 3rd speaker project, not counting an XLS12/PR subwoofer, and I want it to be good.

Ïðèâåò òåçêà! :)

1. On my supervision if distance up to the nearest barrier of port more than its diameter in 2 times that the port will work normally. Other question this interaction of sources of a sound (port or driver) with acoustics of a room - here there can be some problems because of a close arrangement to a wall...

2. Not absolutely clearly. Is available in view of what the port will be on the front panel?

3. Probably it will help (on russian language) http://www.vegalab.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=5775

Well for your inductor question, It becomes a matter of cost and crossover design. Design the crossover with the inductor's resistance factored and see if its acceptable. The problem is since your woofer needs to be the most sensitive going with an iron core will result in substantial savings and perhaps better results. A well designed iron core performs pretty well aslong as you stay below saturation levels.

But i'm not sure what distortion it introduces it'd be cool to see if there's a resource online that has more information regarding distortion in inductors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.