Passive Bi-Amp Xover Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
A sad fate befell the Yamashita household this past weekend.:crying: What had been a solid sound image was now jumping back and forth from left to right. I ask my wife to listen with her cat like ears:blackcat: to see if she can tell what was wrong. After about 10 second of listening she asks, “Where is the bass?” as if she were ordering a hamburger from Wendy’s. Panic set in as I scurried back an forth between the stereo subs, left to right, change the cables, left to right, change the cables, and again until I narrowed it down to my Heathkit AD1702 electronic crossover. After 20+ years of service, it finally gave up the ghost (at least in one low-pass channel).:sad:

It was only a week ago that the owner of the local audio store told me I should go passive xover. Well that is what I’m going to do (I hope). There’s not a lot of solid design information out there. Thanks to Fred (HH), Peter (HPotter), Dave (From beyond Pluto), and others from this forum and beyond who have provided the bulk of the info I’ve been able to find on the subject of Passive Audio Preamps and Xovers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2608&highlight=passive+preamp
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4098&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysdes/Bi_amping
http://users.pandora.be/airborne/download.html

Below is a photo of where I am today. Until I finish this project successfully, I will be without my subs so I am a bit more motivated then usual.

The plan is to create a 12db/oct low-pass for the subs and a 6db/oct hi-pass for the mid-bass. The sub amp is a NAD with ~20kohm input impedance and the mid-bass amp is a Bryston 4bST with an input impedance of ~50kohm. I will put a passive level control on the low-pass output and the hi-pass output will be what it is. This is because the subs are a full 6db more efficient the mid-basses. It is also a more straight-thru path for the higher frequencies.

I have a dual pole/6 position switch that I will wire to switch in various low-pass caps into the C2 position for each channel. The cap that is switched in will be in parallel with the main C2 so will add to the total value of C2. I think I will use a temporary pot in the hi-pass output to get a final shunt resistor value. I believe it will take some tweaking back and forth between the hi-pass and low-pass pot to get the xover where want it, which is in the 80 to 90Hz range.

My next step is to create a schematic (which I will post) to work to. Once all is right, and if I like what I hear, I will start looking at passive tri-amp (or maybe a single buffer output with battery power). Suggestions? Finally, when all the tweaking is done (is it ever?) repackage everything in a nice new case.

Any input that can be offered in this endeavor-o-mine would be greatly appreciated particularly since you had to wade through this lengthy scenario.

Thank You All,
Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
All that and I forgot to post the photo

Attachments

• passive_kit_01.jpg
    passive_kit_01.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 814
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Here is the generic schematic for the passive line level xover. Channel 1 and 2 are the same. I’ll now need to go through and calculate the values. Maybe by Thursday.

The 100kohm pot (PH1) will be replaced with a resistor once things are set.
RL3 will depend on the amps input impedance and the level adjustability.
Trimmer caps C1L will most likely be needed.

So far I’ve spent less then $30 (since I had the caps and resistors). This should qualify as a frugal-phile project (what do you say Dave?).

Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• passive_post_01.gif
    passive_post_01.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 670
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Rodd Yamashita

Well I’m running my system in a quasi-VOT setup with the TAD subs for the bass and the TAD 4001’s coming in at about 600Hz. This has slowed the project somewhat, but I have made some progress on the crossover.

After some revisions and stuffing some proto-boards, I decided to revise the schematic. I will put some values in during next week sometime.

I’m still contemplating a battery powered output buffer with discrete components, but I’m not very strong on the design side so I still hoping for some input from you analog circuit guys.

Thanks in advance for you input.
Happy Holidays:xmastree:
Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• passive_xover_03.gif
    passive_xover_03.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 536
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Proto boards are well stuffed awaiting final hookups. I’ll then put them in the system to find the best resistance settings. These setting will alter the xover points as well as the available voltage on the outputs in the pass band. I’m hoping to have enough voltage left on the outputs to cleanly drive the mid and bass amps. I guess I’ll find out.

Here the latest revision of the schematic with component values.

Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• passive_xover_post_04.gif
    passive_xover_post_04.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 375
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.