wow!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
was bored this morning, found some old full-range drivers from some car speakers (PYE i think) and put them in some OB's (of an old chest of draws).

WOW, they sound great, cant play that loud but apart from a slight hiss in the background they sound very musical and fun!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i think i will definatley go OB for a cost saving option, mabye look into the pioneer B20, although that needs a tweeter, any other full-rangers that are relatively cheap.

the B20's are from parts express, any idea how much shipping would be for a pair to the UK?

no i didnt try them in OB, wish i had now, even for a play, oh well, want somthing that is a bit more sensitive though...

including both the taxes and even parcelforce, it would turn out just under £100 for the 2xB20's and 2xPeizo's!
looks like it will be cheaper than getting them from europe (Spectrum Audio).

if i did get them, could i point the peizo up or backwards on the OB?

on a difffernt point, these quick Ob's that i have made, they dont actually suffer from a total lack of bass, i have dound that it just works somehow :xeye:

inrank said:
including both the taxes and even parcelforce, it would turn out just under £100 for the 2xB20's and 2xPeizo's!
looks like it will be cheaper than getting them from europe (Spectrum Audio).
With the dollar week against the pound atm, there's even more reason to buy from the U.S instead of Europe. I bought some Seas Millenium tweeters from Zalytron in the U.S and including all the tax hits and Parcelforce thievery, I still made a saving of about £60 over buying from Wilmslow Audio - more thieving &£^$&"*$.

Plus, there's always the chance they could skip your parcel at customs and you won't have to pay anything on it. It's happened a few time to me on packages in excess of £100 (albeit from Canada).

yeah, looked at those, put off by the 1mm of xmax on the monacor, the beyma one looks better, 2mm but with 96dB, although both dont have as low fs as the pioneer, anybody used any of these in OB?

although with the higher fs, they should go louder with less distortion (as a general rule?)?

Hi

but then the Pioneer has a low QTS, so it'll be hard to get much bass either way.
I don't know much about OB, but with Xbaffle you should be able to model the response.

Linkwitzlab should be a good resource to get some understanding of Dipol systems.

also, an xmax > 10mm is theoreticaly fine, but you will get hell of a distortion in the mid and upper frequencies when you run them fullrange - you might have noticed that from your FR125 when playing them loud.

LC

I would head straight for the Omnes L8 Spec, the one done for Wolfgang at spectrum, designed, built, and tested for open baffle, AND with the all important phase plug. I have a feeling this is a good driver, and its FR plot is impressive as hell. Then you can follow along with the crowd on audiocircle as they invent the rules on state of the art bass emission. The Omnes appear to be highly sensitive as well. Addition Charlize, T amps are known to exert such driver control as to push bass response downward very noticably.

Omnes + Charlize, my vote.

yeah, on the spectrum audio website they have two, a normal L8 and an L8 'Spec' that is aparently modded for them (even though they are the same price (70 euro, about £50ish each), love the look of it to.

might get away without a seperate tweeter aswell.....

do you know where it has been tested in OB?

omnesaudioL8.jpg

Inrank before you go and buy some more drivers, have some fun and just try a little mod or two on the ones you have there, they look very similar to a some 4 inch drivers I have used in a Double Bass system and the sound they produce modded is out of all proportion with what you might expect.

I use mine with a 10inch sub so bass is fine, but in the DB system using an active bass boost module they go down to 50hz or so.

Here what to try"

Paint the cone and whizzer with two coats of PVA both front and back.

Next cut 2 tissue paper circles (per speaker) that are large enough to cover the area where the cone joins the surround and then comes in about 1.5cm on the cone, then cut little slits radially in the paper and glue it to the cone with PVA, do the same with the second piece as well. (I don't mean to glue on the surround, just inside it)

Next take some small self adhesive compressed foam dots (the type that are used under ornanments to stop them scratching things) and stick them on the cone underneath the whizzer, but make sure they don't touch the whizzer.

Take another larger foam dot and stick it in the middle of the centre cap and then stick another two small ones on top of that. It sounds odd but trust me it really works.

Then take some non-slip rubber matting (the stuff that gets sild for putting in draws etc) and glue it to the frame outer surfaces and the magnet and around the area where the magnet joins the frame. ( I used double sided tape here instead of glue)

Finally get some virgin olive oil and brush it onto the surround , you may need a couple of coats.

Pop the speakers back onto your boards and have a listen, you may just find that this set-up in combination with the sub is a killer.

If you are able to get one of the sub boost kits from altronics in OZ (very cheap) it will sound way better still.

Give it a try, its cheap and easy! and enjoy DIY.

yeah will try that mod, i have found that even these in their small baffles sound bigger than any other of the speakers have had, and they have an ability to get my foot tapping aswell, not bad for 30min work with 50 pence worth of drivers!

will try that tommorow, got a pic of yours?

"Inrank before you go and buy some more drivers, have some fun and just try a little mod or two on the ones you have there, they look very similar to a some 4 inch drivers I have used in a Double Bass system and the sound they produce modded is out of all proportion with what you might expect."

simmilar except these are 3" units lol ;) (from side to side, 55mm cone and 32mm whizzer cone with an 11mm VC..... :D )

Outstanding results!! Let the tweakage begin, looking forward to the results!

This will give you a baseline impression as to what you could expect down the road, when you step up to purpose built, killer drivers such as the Visatons, with the radiating area of an 8 incher. Beware: you may already have reached the point of no return.

Then add battery power and source, with its attendant no noise and rise time of lightning...

Inrank I will take a pic and post it over the weekend, Id say you'd get results even with 3 inch drivers, with obviously less bass.

I did try mine on OBs, using single drivers per side, pairs per side and even triples in a triangular formation and an in line quad. Net result was the more drivers the more volume, huge with the 4 ups but the sound quality was no where near as good as a single! Basically more drivers kills the highs and distorts the upper mids.

I'm not sure about your drivers but mine are of the type that are used for PA works and in ceiling use, I think this may have something to do with why they work pretty well on OBs, afterall ceilings are just a very very big open baffle without the reflected sound coming back inot the room.

There are a lot of ceiling speakers available very cheap in sizes up to 8 inches that might have promise on OBs modded, heck I found some in town the other day, 5.5inches dual cone, and only $5.00 each. At that price if I totally stuffed them up it wouldn't matter.

yeah, am looking out for really cheap drivers, not many places around here except charity shops, car boot sales, ebay etc....

what about this using a Caire CH250 (10") driver

QTS 1.6
FS 57Hz
96dB
0.5mm xmax
4 ohm
£35 each

sounds promising....

or this one at Radio Spares....
R432930-02.jpg

which looks just like the Monacor SP-200MX and is only £12!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.