RTA (measurement system)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My place of work is looking for a measurement system similar to the systems that are used for loudspeaker measurements. I have another post that I put up hear looking for what type of mic, preamp and software to use for my home loudspeaker measurement system and I assume they can be used as an RTA as well.

Please give me some feedback or other suggestions for some equipment to use. We do have a budget but it is more than my home budget.

This is what we are looking at right now.

RTA Link

We are using it to measure the noise output on some brushed DC motors with gearboxes. They are being measured in a sound box that was put together with foam insulation material.

My other thought would be something like PC RTA from Linear X
PCRTA

I remember that Cool Edit Pro (before it was bought by Adobe and turned into Audition) had some good analysis tools. I don't know if they made it into Audition, and I don't know if you can still pick up a copy of Cool Edit, but my main point is that you might not really need real time analysis.

If you're just measuring relative tweaks to a motor to see how they affect noise output, and you're not trying to come up with some sort of real-time control system, then taking a snapshot of the noise and post-processing it could be a cheap way to get 'er done.

EDIT: Check out Audacity (download.com) . It's free, and although I haven't tried it yet it looks like it can do some useful analysis.

joe carrow said:
I remember that Cool Edit Pro (before it was bought by Adobe and turned into Audition) had some good analysis tools. I don't know if they made it into Audition, and I don't know if you can still pick up a copy of Cool Edit, but my main point is that you might not really need real time analysis.

If you're just measuring relative tweaks to a motor to see how they affect noise output, and you're not trying to come up with some sort of real-time control system, then taking a snapshot of the noise and post-processing it could be a cheap way to get 'er done.

EDIT: Check out Audacity (download.com) . It's free, and although I haven't tried it yet it looks like it can do some useful analysis.

The waveform analysis in Audacity is pretty useless. You can't zoom or change scale, and the values shown on the x axis don't match the displayed chart very well.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.