Troubleshooting 317/337 Regulator Circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm attempting to fix a preamplifier, and have discovered that the negative supply volatage for the main op-amps is only -1.2 vdc, when it should be around -16.4 vdc. The negative regulator circuit uses a standard LM337 topology with two resistors for output adjustment, and electrolytics at the input, output, and adjustment pins.

Given that the input voltage is a solid -28v, the output voltage is down to -1.2 volts, and the voltage at the adjustment pin is around 2mv, which component(s) is likely bad? I will likely replace all components, since the cost is not really an issue, but it would be great if I didn't have to replace the LM337.

Christer said:
If you have -1.2 V, it sounds like the regulator is working but the adjust node is somehow shorted to ground. Is there a Cadj capacitor there that might have shorted?

I removed the adjustment capacitor and the output voltage came back up to -16.4v. I then replaced this capacitor, and the complimentary capacitor in the +V regulator circuit, and all is working fine again. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.