Vifa or Peerless??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In general, my preference is for peerless, all things being equal (which of course, they never are). I find peerless drivers to be very good in terms of quality for the dollar, with careful attention to design. You see many peerless drivers with high tech features hidden under a 'normal' facade: things like shorting rings in the motor don't LOOK cool, but they sure make it sound good :)

Vifa makes a number of very good drivers too, of course, my preference is just for peerless (maybe because I use their bass drivers?)

ok I am about to build a 3 way Pyramid shaped Floor standing base reflex enclosures. I would like to use the scanspeak drivers, but they are approx 3 times the price of vifa or peerless. I just noticed a new range od drivers called peerless V line ( a combination of Vifa and Peerless), supposidely a up market Vifa? maybe thats what I need?
Also has anyone seen a DIY pyramid shaped enclosure??
Thanks again.
Sam.

The Peerless v-line is just a new name for Vifa drivers that were existing. Part of the consolidation by Tymphany when they bought DST. They turfed out a lot of the older Vifa drivers like the P13, P17, D26NC etc.... what was left goes under the v-line banner.

Well I've used the Vifa XT19 tweeter and its probably my favorite tweeter to date. Vifa makes a wide variety of very nice tweeters, and peerless has their new HDS tweeter which is supposed to be comparable to scan speak distortion levels.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

For woofers the new peerless HDS series looks very nice. I personally got these $10 buy out peerless woofers from Madisound and was blown away by the performance. So overall both are good value just chose whatever drivers fit your project.

angsuman said:
Well I've used the Vifa XT19 tweeter and its probably my favorite tweeter to date. Vifa makes a wide variety of very nice tweeters, and peerless has their new HDS tweeter which is supposed to be comparable to scan speak distortion levels.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

For woofers the new peerless HDS series looks very nice. I personally got these $10 buy out peerless woofers from Madisound and was blown away by the performance. So overall both are good value just chose whatever drivers fit your project.

I use HDS 8"s for my woofers, at the moment, 2 per side in sealed boxes, low Q (.57ish). They don't suck :)

Peerless 8" HDS Exclusive

This is an outstanding speaker. Blows my older Scan Speak 8535s away. More air, detail, yet smooth. View the almost flat-line response on the manufactures site. No 800-1000 Hz bump either. I use a Zobel 22uF & series 7 ohm resistor across the driver to help limit the top-end frequencies with the simple series x-over.

Why 8" for a midrange? No congestion issues like some 7" mid/bass speakers & larger cone has less travel for same volume producing lower IMD products.

I cross the Peerless at 2K using a simple series x-over. .82uH & 8.2uF cap. I use 3.5 ohm Mills in series with a Seas T25CF001 Excel tweeter to balance the output. The Seas is agressive, but not edgy. A somewhat milder tweeter is Morel MDT33, but more expensive. Perhaps an alternate would be a Scan Speak 9500 saving about $40 for a pair. Remember, it requires a stout tweeter to crossover at 2kHz & a simple series x-over does place some limitations on tweeters with higher fs.

I sealed this Peerless in a .5 cu ft sonic tube glued in the 2.8 cubic feet ported enclosure. Sonic tube is cardboard tube usually used for concrete peers and available at Home Depot. This limits low end response without a complicated x-over. Low frequencies are handled with a Pioneer (don't laugh) 12" speaker & series 11uH inductor. X-over is called a 2.5 way. The Pioneer speaker has the rubber surround & is available at Parts Express for $65 each. This speaker is better than Altec 604s, Stevens Trusonic (fotget model) and JBL D120s on accurate bass- no kidding. Also kills Peerless 12" XLR series.

Compared to my older ProAc 2.5 Response speakers, there is no comparison.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's an interesting speaker you've got going there, Amperex.
So you like that Pioneer A30IR50-51F? Funny. Why such a big inductor on the Pioneer? Using it to tilt the FR down? Suppress that big 2K peak?

Sounds like a fun project in a reasonable sized box. Might have to try it some time. What do you figure - about 88~90dB/W overall? That midrange should be sweet.

Reply for Pioneer plus mid-high staement

Big inductor is to restrict response to about 150 Hz. The 12" speaker is a bass speaker in the 2.5 way. The zobel on the Peerless limits the high-end response to an acceptable degree.

I found the expensive Scan-Speak '8535' is be much less accurate in the mid-highs compared to the Peerless 8" HDS Exclusive. Lets face it, that old design Scan Speak '8535' is over 15 years old.

The new Peerless HDS Exclusive is a new technology design. View both speakers & look at the '8535' 800 to 900 Hz peak compared to the Peerless about flat-line response to 2kHz. With the Peerless I do not need a tuned network circuit to tame that '8535' peak. Less components to 'fix' things in a crossover makes for not only an easier design, simple networks simply seem to stay out of the way of the music.

The simple first order series crossover is not the best design for every application & especially so for metal cone mid/bass speakers like Seas with a nasty cone breakup mode that should have an 18dB third order crossover design. However, careful design using the Seas mid/bass brings forth some of the best sonics per others.

My 2.5 way design is a mid-priced high performance speaker system that is superior to many 2-way designs. It simply is more dynamic & live sounding over many designs. I am not an expert speaker designer, just got lucky using good drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.