• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recommend me some transformers for a PP EL84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
REcommend me some transformers for a PP EL84

Having read that a lot of people dislike hammond transformers I am open to suggestions to a decent PT and OT's for a PPEL84 in ultralinear mode.

Looking for 240primary and secondaries

240v at least 200mA
6.3V
6.3v / 5v

Would be great if anybody has any experience with both hammond and other transformers.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Sounds like you're intending to use GZ34 rectifier (possibly in a hybrid bridge). GZ34 are expensive. A much cheaper alternative is a pair of 6CL3, which would need 6.3V @ 2.4A. Then, use a separate 6.3V (not toroidal) transformer for the heaters of your audio valves. That way, you won't get HT rectification noise crawling up your heaters and into the audio.

EC8010 said:
Sounds like you're intending to use GZ34 rectifier (possibly in a hybrid bridge). GZ34 are expensive. A much cheaper alternative is a pair of 6CL3,

There's always fine examples of current production GZ34/5AR4 from JJ or Sovtek at fraction of price compared to NOS tubes. They work just as good. I just don't see how NOS tubes are actually any better, considering its high market value. I've been using these two brands WITHOUT a problem at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.