• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube pre-amplifier PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tub pre psu

I would like to use this psu for a tube pre with 2X 12AX7 and 2X 12AU7. the B+ is 275VDC and no B-. I need help on:

1. The 10H choke is too expensive for me. Can I replace it with R? What is the Ohm value?

2. For the 6.3V 3A from the transformer, is 3A enough for all (4 tubes) filaments? It should be 8X 6.3V filaments.

3. What is the purpose of the 50Ohm 5W pair in the 6.3V 3A?

Attachments

• jp_psu.jpg
    jp_psu.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 526
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The 10H choke and 50 Ohm resistors are the least of your problems. The 317 will explode on switch-on. Search for "Maida regulator".

Each valve draws 0.3A heater current. 4 x 0.3A = 1.2A, so 3A is fine.

1/2W will be fine for those 50 Ohm resistors.

Frankly, the "design" appears to be a disaster conjured up by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Given your level of experience, I'd advise you to leave it well alone.

More specifically, the 317 can't take more than 35 volts from the input to the output or to the ground connection. I suppose it's possible for a circuit like this to function, if the timing of the input voltage rise is such that the caps on the output and ground pin could charge up before the 35V difference is exceeded. This issue is the same in reverse too. So if the input cap discharges while the output cap is still charged - poof, out goes the magic smoke. Don't count on it to be reliable, and don't hook up anything to it that can't stand the full voltage output with the regulator shorted. Or, use a better design. As EC8010 suggested, look up Maida regulator. http://www.national.com/an/LB/LB-47.pdf
Sheldon

jarthel said:
I was reading the PDF Sheldon linked and I can't see any app notes. can you tell me where it is? thank you.

Sy has cited more sources of info (which you should read), but even the original citation reads at the bottom of the first page:

"These techniques can be extended for higher output voltages and/or currents by using better high voltage transistors or cascoding or paralleling (with appropriate emitter ballasting resistors) several transistors".

Take this information, make a proposed design and ask for comments on the design.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.