Blown surround foam cushion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Unfortunately, the left woofer's surround foam cushion on my Klipsch 4.1 Pro Media subwoofer has blown. I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix it. Any ideas?

NOTE: I was thinking of using some sort of silicione that you shoot in and it gets harder, like an insulator.

I am on a budget.

Thank you,
Marc

Hi

I have successfully repaired two mid range units by simply replacing the foam as follows;
1 clean the cone edge and the frame to remove all loose foam and clean away all the foam.
2 buy two pieces of foam lagger then the speaker size 1/8" or 3mm thich foam and cut a circle of foam. I cut a circle that was one and a half times wider than the width finally required to allow for later movement of the cone. I made the outside circle slightly larger than the frame and the inside circle slightly smaller than the cone.
3 I used a rubber solution to glue the circle in to place.
4 I found that gluing to the cone first was easier. I then glued to the frame last.

The good news is that the speakers work fine.

Hope this helps

Don

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
If it's a little tear, latex adhesive and tissue paper will keep you going for a while, but long term, I agree, get it sorted professionally if you can't get the surround yourself. To do it properly, you have to remove the whole cone, shim the magnet/voice coil gap and reglue, otherwise fixing the new surround could pull the whole cone out of alignment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.