• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Inserting tubes into Express PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everybody! I just Downloaded Express PCB, and I am having all the fun in the world with it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put a tube on the board because it is not in the "Component Library" does anyone know where I can download a suppliment to the library? or do I just have to make my own. Thank you for any help

Dave,

You are right on the money. Make your own patterns from the actual part you will use. Don't trust drawings from the net either... some of them have been converted to Imperial from metric and back again so many times that real errors creep in.

;)

poobah said:
Dave,

You are right on the money. Make your own patterns from the actual part you will use. Don't trust drawings from the net either... some of them have been converted to Imperial from metric and back again so many times that real errors creep in.

;)

Drawings from the net !!!! NO NO NO.

I have been burned several times by drawings off of the net with mistakes on them. I did not find out until I tried to mount the part on the board. Bummer.

Even if I do start from a drawing I always check it with a physical part.

Dave

jackinnj said:
a little trigonometry helps -- a 7-pin miniature has spaces for 8 "holes" and a 9-pin miniature for 10 -- with a little work you can figure the X-Y coordinates for the socket holes in a custom component.

I always make the pattern with 8 holes for a 7 pin tube and 10 holes for a 9 pin tube and save it as its own file. I copy that file onto the board I am working with and delete one of the holes at the last minute as I figure the best way to orient the tube.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.