Measuring amp performance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recall reading that the t-amp didn't have great bass performance... and I they had modified it to improve this (well okay, many people have).

Anyway, they had posted before/after graphs (frequency vs db I believe)... and my question is simply "how do you measure this". I am currently using an inexpensive home theater style receiver (6.1 type thingy from Sony), and I am interested in doing some measurements on it.

Thanks,
Silly.

I am a complete newb, so If I needed to do something like this and only had my newb logic and limited equipment to work with, this is what I would do...

Take a resistive load, i.e. 8ohm, and connect it to the amp. Now play sine waves through the amp at all the frequencies you want to measure and check the voltage across the load for each frequency. So if your amp rolls off at the low end you should see lower voltages as the frequency decreases in that region.

Non-newbs feel free to correct me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.