• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Note Conquest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I was considering to build a Pass Labs aleph 30, but got a lot of comments like "it's as close to good tube sound as you can get with transistors", and so on. Then I tough; "Why don't I build a good tube amp instead?!".
So here we are..

I need a little power since I listen to rock music. I'll buy some Klipsch speakers soon, so I can do with around 20 watts and play almost as loud as I want to. 300b paralell is the best option as far as I can see. The tubes are expensive, so If someone told me how long a set will last, I can consider if I can afford to keep the amp running.

So, which amp should I build? As you may have entered this thread waiting for juicy images of a Conquest, you know were this is going. It seems like a rather simple build, 18 watts of power, and I love the Audio Note sound.

What I'm asking for, is some tips on how to build it. What transformers to use (lundahl would be great..), how to make the chassis, what capacitors you recommend etc.

www.drtube.com

300B for rock? It must be damn well designed. Most 300B amps I've heard just don't cut it. They're overly coloured, bloated and slow.

Having said that, I use 2A3 for rock (read: Blue Man Group kinda stuff) and I'm satisfied.

My friend has a Conqueror and admits my system (with the 2A3) is faster that his.

I've heard a tweaked Conrad Johnson MV-75 that sounds good for rock.

There are many tube options/combination for you, such as EL34, KT88, 6550. But if I'd do such a thing (PP) I would use 807 :D

417A -> Lundahl 1660S (SE-PP) -> 807 x 2 -> Lundahl OPT

So simple :D but expensive :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.