Info on Toshiba Opti Cartridge plz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I have just acquired this NOS "Toshiba OPTI" cartridge, which I have been led to believe may be an interesting type in that it used a modulated light beam and photodiode to translate stylus movement into electrical signals.
Does anyone have any info on it, specifically as regards the electrical connections & pinouts?

Attachments

• opti&box3.jpg
    opti&box3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 213
Hi,

First of all I must say that I know nothing about electronics and technical stuff. I'm only a old LP record fan that like to play his favorite tunes on old hardware (amp and turntables).

If this info can help you, I am pretty sure that your cartridge is designed for the Toshiba Opti TR-50 turntable. I think you should try to get info about the TR-50. I was unable to fing good infos on the web yet. If you can find some, I would be interested.

I wonder where you got your cartrige from ? I just bought a TR-50 without original cartridge so I'm looking for one. If you want to sell it...

Regards,

Anar

What I have learned about this cartridge is that it requires a special preamplifier, with non-RIAA equalisation, as well as an uncommon input configuration.
The cartridge contains two photodiodes, so does not generate any voltage as do ceramic or magnetic cartridges. Instead, the generator acts as a variable current source, and as such needs an excitation potential. Further, the cartridge requires 2V at 200mA or so to illuminate the phototransistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.