Construction Techniques(putting DIY in a proper enclosure)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not see a dedicated Forum/Thread for amplifier construction techniques. I'll post this here in hopes that it gets some general public notice and hope I don't get heat for putting this in the wrong place.

I have read of people using routers to cut and shape aluminum. I have read of people purchasing complete Knock-Out sets for $15 on the net. I have of read people purchasing large chunks of heat sink extrusions and cutting it up like cheese. It is sometimes hard for me to go back and find these points or search them in the archives. It’s all in here in the DIYAUDIO pages but not so accessible all the time. There are many different projects all being built different each time.

Would the community here be willing to post some of their creative discoveries regarding these and other closely related topics on building enclosures and cases? Tubes and Transistor projects have similar issues yet many differences but wouldn’t they share this type of forum/thread together?

I am finding the esthetic look of my DIY designs restricted to the enclosures that are readily available, and I don’t really find many of them inspiring. I want to learn what others are doing so I can try my hand at crafting my own chassis etc.

I guess the next best thing is to look at the images threads and ask how “it” was constructed.

Really just a thought, perhaps it doesn’t make sense as a separate topic but what do YOU think? I envision a new forum with many threads? :)

Cheers,

Shawn.

Projects on the go

Just so you get the idea; I have 3 power amps on the table and two of them are running and none of them have enclosures yet. It is a real road block for me and I need to envision something nice before trying to assemble it. Yes there are some very nice enclosures available on the internet, so many indeed, but I want to see the DIY unveiled!

DIY does things like nobody would ever try just using what is available. The results can astonish while remaining on a low budget.

Ja Bless,

Shawn.

Is no one biting?
Ok, here's some of mine thats easy to do.

This one is used for stuff with low needs for cooling. Gainclone, Hypex etc.

It's made out of 6mm MDF that is glued together and then veneered. The top, sides and front is one "solid" piece while the bottom and back is another. This way it's easy to open it up and fiddle around.

The preamp above is made the same way, It's a grounded grid pre btw and it is yet to be completed

Attachments

• imgp0980.jpg
    imgp0980.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,029
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/audio
For inspiration browse this. It really gets you mind moving.

As for machining you can just look up in the catalog of companies, Toronto is a big city, you'll find dozen of companies that do waterjet cutting, galvanazing, etc.

I think DIYaudio needs a separate forum about mechanical things.

As for PCB manufacturing, just search the internet, it is full of good guides. From my experience I can say that YES, it is easily done, preferably with photoresist coated boards, printer and iron method sucks, dont bother doing at home anything that has smaller than 0.5mm traces(I've done 0.3mm, but the process is hard to monitor), boards with lots of vias(you can metallize vias at home but its easier to do without them) and anything fancier than 2 sided board, in these constrains it is easily and cheaply done without any hassle.

DIY Mechanical

kmj said:
It's made out of 6mm MDF that is glued together and then veneered. The top, sides and front is one "solid" piece while the bottom and back is another. This way it's easy to open it up and fiddle around.

kmj, you are obviously a five star speaker cabinet maker? The use of wood on amps and preamps is too cool. Very nice indeed but is shielding ever an issue?

VEC7OR said:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/audio
For inspiration browse this. It really gets you mind moving.

As for machining you can just look up in the catalog of companies, Toronto is a big city, you'll find dozen of companies that do waterjet cutting, galvanazing, etc.

I think DIYaudio needs a separate forum about mechanical things.

As for PCB manufacturing, just search the internet, it is full of good guides. From my experience I can say that YES, it is easily done, preferably with photoresist coated boards, printer and iron method sucks, dont bother doing at home anything that has smaller than 0.5mm traces(I've done 0.3mm, but the process is hard to monitor), boards with lots of vias(you can metallize vias at home but its easier to do without them) and anything fancier than 2 sided board, in these constrains it is easily and cheaply done without any hassle.

Inspiration for certain! I'd like to see more of the DIYer showing off their very own hand at metal work, not just farming it out to a deluxe metal shop. Metal shop is great but I want to learn the sneaky little tricks that people pull at home with "regular" tools. Of course I can walk into a metal shop and drop a few hundred and get going on a box but that is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Printed circuit boards, I have made many! Why is there no local guide in the DIYAUDIO.COM with illustrations and pics for the budding audio enthusiast? Of course we can all Google the net and find gold, I do it all day long but what a waste of time vs. dropping in on a detailed forum, HERE with a supportive peer group?

I'll try by example, the boards I etch tonight, i'll try to make a brief tutorial and post later.

VEC7OR, very nice avatar! You like LOW frequency, yes? I built a 4th order bandpass with isobarik 8" drivers for my car a few years ago. A year later I left the trunk open in town and the thing dissapeared with a nice power amp attached to it. My wish is that it is being used by some bass terroist teen driving around in a Honda Civic:rolleyes:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Basically, we are upgrading to the latestest version of vBulletin. It's a long and complex migration that we want to happen seamlessly, there's a lot of stuff in our database, and our expert tech, Audiofreak also has a lot of custom programming to do to keep the look and feel of our site.

I've built a 6 order bandpass from a 8" driver, was my first ever loudpeaker project and for the point it was how I found DIYaudio.com.

P.S. I probably should do a guide how-to do boards with photoresist and stuff, at the moment I'm a bit short on time (end of the term you know, exams and stuff) and I don't have all the photos of the process, only completed boards.

1/8" copper can be had cheaply nearby. Just cut 4 6" panels, and attach them at the corners. (I used an oxy-acetylene torch and silver solder.) Then, cut out a piece of metal for the top and bottom, and you're set. An added bonus: Copper dissipates heat pretty well.

Total cost? 10$ + solder.

Or, for me, free. (Covered in art metal materials fee.)

kmj, you are obviously a five star speaker cabinet maker? The use of wood on amps and preamps is too cool.
haha, thats a good one :D
You should see my previous speakers, they looked like crap. But that was due to the finish a applied.
Anyway, I always use the thicker veneer (1,4mm thick) and it's quite easy to use. You just add glue och one side, put the veneer under preasure for some hours and then use a fine sandpaper to remove what egdes there are. Then just repeat on the other side.

I did them at the same time as my kid brother made his cloned proacs. In dads garage without any special tools, just glue, knife and sandpaper.

Very nice indeed but is shielding ever an issue
Not on the gainclones or hypex, not in my case anyway. But if so, shouldn't some aluminumfoil on the inside solve that? As long as it is in contact with the bottomplate'?

But I don't think that I would put, for example, a OP-based preamp in them...

Resist etch Method

This is a very fast way to make boards using pre-sensitized copper. This was drawn up last night in a few hours, I wrote it as I made the boards for the Quasi power amp design. I will take the time to do it properly in a short while. For now, this is rev1.

This is the type of stuff I would like to see in the "Fabrication Forum" and I am willing to document and share the methods I use if people think it is worth reading.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.