vintage console in Steath Mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever tried this? Seems like it would be fun to keep the party guessing... Huh?

I was repairing a 1970 Zenith console for a neighbor recently. Awful record changer and amplifier, but really not bad cabinetry. This particular one had clean simple lines, nice walnut veneer, solidly built.

I realized that it wouldn't necessarily look bad in a living room, and then my mind wandered. I've got so much accumulated extra stuff downstairs, and there is so damn much room inside this thing, that "supercharging" it could be done in one evening. Forget the turntable - with a built in subwoofer, feedback would be a monster. A quick and dirty sealed two-way behind the grilles and a 12" downfiring sub with a plate amp using up the remainder of volume. One of those dust-collecting receivers under the bench - say that 60wpc pioneer, and... hmm, how about that fisher cd turntable of unknown provenance that I can't even give away - a five cd changer with the turntable always exposed on top, but it's reliable.

Thank god winter is finally over here in michigan. I might just have actually done this already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.