Fostex FE126E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Madisound is telling me that they have the FF125k in stock. I wanted to build a set of Ron's Horns but I don't think this driver will do well. Ron if you read this, what do you think?

On another note. Whatshisname really should work out a deal with Fostex instead of zeroing out a retailer. Now the rest of us who are not tring to make money on this are screwed for a month, maybe more. Thanks a bunch!

Godzilla said:
I thought whatshisname bought allthemout?

Probably a great driver for a back horn.

Yup to both; I think the recent backorder situation with this driver can be attributed to our friend in Leesville - he probably has more inventory than Madisound at the moment.

and yes they do shine particularly well in Ron Clarke's A126 horn

Even allowing for exchange, Solen's price is too high on the Fostex drivers - if new stock is only a few weeks away, I'd wait or give Ed a call and discuss his business model - 803-657-5178 :D

All kidding aside, the boys as Madisound are resellers to both the "DIY/retail" and OEM market, and could be dealing with quotas or advance order commitments from Fostex, as well as their own consternation at the sudden popularity of this particular driver.

As several builders could attest, the FE126 situation has been far longer than the last month or two.

I doubt Fostex would even reply to a relatively small business like Ed's. I wonder where Louis at Omega and Terry Cain source their drivers?

Well, seems that Madisound has an order coming through on Monday now. I don't know if my "you may have lost a customer" comment to them spurred the making available to me a pair from another order or not. Ah well, I wasn't trying to be rude to them. I didn't find this out though until after I put an order through for a pair of FE166's. Now, the option to go ahead and switch the order appears to be there.

QUESTION TO ALL:

I am going to eventually purchase bothe 126 and 166 models. Since I made the order now for the 166's should I stick with it or should I go ahead and take them up on the offer for the 126's. Any input would be appreciated! I am going to use both in my experiments over time but which would be more fun to begin with? ;) I know this is a subjective question but I like opinions.

Harderror said:
I am going to eventually purchase bothe 126 and 166 models. Since I made the order now for the 166's should I stick with it or should I go ahead and take them up on the offer for the 126's. Any input would be appreciated! I am going to use both in my experiments over time but which would be more fun to begin with? ;) I know this is a subjective question but I like opinions.

IMO, all this 126's stuff is kind of a feeding frenzy triggered as somebody said upper in the thread by whatshisname who owns a shoppe... ;)

Notwhistanding the FE126 seems to be a nice driver, I bought my FE166Es as the 126 seems to be a compromise between them and the 103s. My intention is to build one of the Austin designs from Ron, as soon as I get clearance from the wife.

I own 108EZs in Fostex side firing horn and really love them, and I'm expecting Ron release his new Houston 108 design to give them a different try.

Bottom line... I wouldn't let the 166Es fall, but I also would wait for all of this frenzy go back to a normal status... you can never have too many fullrange drivers but let's them get stable, and meanwhile buy a couple 108EZs :)

Gastón

FE126 availability

Well I think we can anticipate ongoing disruptions in availability of the 126, so unless you're convinced that they're not worth the effort (I'd argue with you on that point:smash: ), then I'd say definitely go ahead with both models, then you can decide.

Say what you like about our friend who owns a shoppe - just be winning to defend yourself (did I mention his collection of firearms of various calibers, several very fast motor vehicles of both the 2 and 4 wheel variety, satellite GPS targeting downlink a la Jack Bauer * and attitude? :angel: ), my experience over the past couple of years with numerous "full range" (and wannabe) drivers suggests that there's some veracity to his commments regarding the "magic" of a particular size range of driver.

* OK, that's just a guess.....

Not to bore those who've read this before, an audition to several models of Omega speakers a few years ago reinforced this - I much preferred the Super3 bipoles to the 6" Fostex single driver model (which I note is not included in his current product listing)

Re: FE126 availability

chrisb said:
Well I think we can anticipate ongoing disruptions in availability of the 126, so unless you're convinced that they're not worth the effort (I'd argue with you on that point:smash: ), then I'd say definitely go ahead with both models, then you can decide.

No need to argue. If it's not a big investment to the OP, then follow the saying... you can never have too many fullrange drivers. :D

Say what you like about our friend who owns a shoppe - just be winning to defend yourself (did I mention his collection of firearms of various calibers, several very fast motor vehicles of both the 2 and 4 wheel variety, satellite GPS targeting downlink a la Jack Bauer * and attitude? :angel: ), my experience over the past couple of years with numerous "full range" (and wannabe) drivers suggests that there's some veracity to his commments regarding the "magic" of a particular size range of driver.

* OK, that's just a guess.....

I'm not saying he is wrong, and I'm far away enough to feel somehow safe about satellite GPS targeting downlink and that stuff... LOL. I was just remarking the fact that after he published his decision to shift his favor from the 108EZ to the 126E, this feeding frenzy started...

I also like to do my buying based on respected opinions but *I* would never set aside a good product just because some of that opinions shifted, and not by quality issues or so.
I've read several good words about the 126, but there seems to be differences in opinions rgd. to the midrange quality, compared to the 108EZ. I'm talking of 100% stock drivers. So, for me, that's enough to keep with the now ugly 108EZ :) .

The 166E I still have to try in a Ron's design but it has also received good words from respected people in the community.

Having said all of this, as soon as I get my Houston 108s, and my Austin 166s (still to decide if they will be SF or BF) up and running, and that will surely give time both to Fostex and the demand to adjust themselves, I will probably buy my very own set of 126Es to try to sort by myself what all of this fuss is about :D.

Gastón

I don't think that the 108Ez is "ugly" simply because Exx now puts 126E in his horns. He said 126E kicked 108ez' *** in HIS horn. Probably, HIS horn not optimized for 108Ez. Also, he makes money selling his horns, so listen to him with a grain of salt. Maybe later when 126 is unavailable he will sing a different tune.

Rather, listen to 108Ez in Super Swann then compare. You probably keep 108Ez.

108Ez 4" is optimum for full range as it has correct sound in mid and upper frequencies with speed and detail without brightness. Bigger drivers need tipped up treble to sound clear. Whizzers add more problems, better to use tweeter already.

ultrakaz said:
I don't think that the 108Ez is "ugly" simply because Exx now puts 126E in his horns. He said 126E kicked 108ez' *** in HIS horn. Probably, HIS horn not optimized for 108Ez. Also, he makes money selling his horns, so listen to him with a grain of salt. Maybe later when 126 is unavailable he will sing a different tune.

Rather, listen to 108Ez in Super Swann then compare. You probably keep 108Ez.

I was just kidding on that... I have a couple of FE108EZs in Fostex SF horns (old design aimed at 108Zs). As soon as Ron releases his Houston 108 design I will give them a new "home".

Infortunately Super Swans have less than zero WAF :( and that lets them out of scope...

Gastón

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.