MTW35N15E mosfet in Aleph?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That`s great!

I noticed the higher capacitance, but was not sure what the consequence would be.
I also noticed lower voltage range, but it`s still high enough for Aleph.

Since I have so many I can match them quite easy.

Sometimes it pays of working at a electronics manufacturer:D

Thanks for your answer.

I really like what you are doing for the DIY community.
Makes me hope that I someday can give something back. :angel:

other alternatives

Hi all,
i am gathering together parts to begin my first diy amp:xfingers: (an Aleph 5) on a paupers budget. i was wondering what the cost of the irf244 mosfets is overseas. if these are costly:eek: (i am STILL waiting for prices in Aust.), are there any other cheaper substitutes that anyone can recommend? (it will be updated as funds allow).

thanks also to Nelson for allowing us his designs:angel:
a great sound and the satisfaction of having built it yourself is completely irresistable:D

another silly question

i've since decided to build an aleph 3 (much cheaper and better first project). i've also found out that the electrical store at uni has bulk quantities of irf520v which they gladly hand out free. would these be suitable for an aleph? it looks like i might have to run twice as many, but i'm no expert on this. as they are free and a bottomless supply, i'd really like to use them.

any opinions?

I think there should be no problems related to gate charge, but you should take in account not only the maximum current but also total power dissipation. IRFPs can dissipate almost three times the device you want to use, but I think that 4+4 devices per channel can be enough. You can also go for 6+6 but it's probably overkill.

In Aleph 30 there are 3+3 IRFPs per channel while the power rating of the amplifier is almost identical to Aleph 3.. so you have to choose the "stress rating" of each mosfet and then use as many as you need.

Regards

Andrea

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi.
I have been thinking of building a Aleph 1,2 and use MTW35N15E mosfets.
As I understand:
I can get away with half the number of these mosfets, compared to the original 24pc. IRF244/IRFP240 (pr.channel)?

What other parts need to be changed? (not thinking of the "removal" of "surplus" resistors).

Arne K
NORWAY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.