Next Pass Shootout In Salt Lake City

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The next Pass Shootout is scheduled for Saturday May 6th at 10:30 AM at my place in Bountiful, Utah. All the usual people will be here and all others that want to bring their DIY amp and or preamp are also invited to join us...... needless to say Nelson is also invited.... :cool: . We will compare and dissect how each piece sounds using my Dynaudios. Bring your own source material in case you don't like mine!

Brian GT has sent me some extra prototype SMD style Mini Aleph PCB's and I will be handing those out free to the first Three attendees that show up. So be prompt!!

Those attending need to e-mail me for a map since my place is somewhat hidden off the street.

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
The next Pass Shootout is scheduled for Saturday May 6th at 10:30 AM at my place in Bountiful, Utah. All the usual people will be here and all others that want to bring their DIY amp and or preamp are also invited to join us...... needless to say Nelson is also invited.... :cool: . We will compare and dissect how each piece sounds using my Dynaudios. Bring your own source material in case you don't like mine!

Brian GT has sent me some extra prototype SMD style Mini Aleph PCB's and I will be handing those out free to the first Three attendees that show up. So be prompt!!

Those attending need to e-mail me for a map since my place is somewhat hidden off the street.

Mark

Lucky them :) I actually was there to help with that board LAYOUT. Are you going to build a set Mark ?

Yea, Myself and three others will be building protos of them to test out and judge at the shootout after this one..... Assuming there are any audio nuts left alive after th8is shootout.

Mark

:( wish i could go..

My bet's are on the smd version :) Compaired to the through hole.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002

Mark

Excellent! I hope it goes well. Here is a pic for what Mark will be giving out. Red boards with gold plating. The pcb set contains 2 amp boards and 2 psu boards and is 6" x 6"

--
Brian

Attachments

• ma-smd1.jpg
    ma-smd1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,531
jh6you said:
Thinking that the class A power amp requires wide inner space, I wonder why trying to make mini PCB . . .

Any good argument?

The purpose of the mini a's are cost and sound.

The cost to build a single channel is so low it's quite worth it in every way..

Sound well i know a few people that run them with fostex speakers and like the sound. Personally i like them better than all the amps that i have.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
jh6you said:
My question was about any worth making PCB mini even if the space is wide enough allowing large size of it.

Thanks

If you are referring to the large surface area of the required heatsinks required, as compared to the small size of the pcb, my motivation to make the small boards, was the prospect of shorter signal paths and the general novelty of smaller boards.

The smaller boards, when used with the 10-15w configuration, simply allow the devices to be mounted on the pcb and screwed directly to the heatsink. This makes for easy output device wiring and greater options for chassis design. The board is 3" tall when mounted in a vertical manner.

Here is a picture of the first version of this project that I made over 2 years ago:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/albums/mini-a/mini_1.sized.jpg
The new boards allow for accepting balanced input, unlike the first revision of the SMD layout.

--
Brian

Brian's boards arrived in perfect shape today. They look mighty nice too. The only downside for a 50 year old fart like myself are the itty bitty parts it uses and the aux. magnifier that it will teke for me to see them.... Its a darn good thing that I don't repair still cameras any more!

I hope we will see more faces at the shootout!

Mark

Jason,

Why not hop a plane down here and get a free set of boards! I have a dedicated listening room now:) . Ticket prices are going up fast so book soon!

Mark

Ok ill come down :) i did to Brians :) do you have a messy basement and lots of goodies to share with me :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.