• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12A/71A SET project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally, holidays are here, and I can spend some time finishing my 12A/71A SET.

The setup is quite simple, amorphous core volume trannies into UX-112A loaded by Pimm BBMCCCS, coupled by 0.2uF silver mica capacitors to the UX-171A output tubes, loaded by Tango XE-20 S output transformer configured as 5K:16R. Sensitivity of the setup is about 4.5Vrms for full 700mW output. Here's a pic taken yesterday right after drilling and mounting the first bulk of components..

It is originally intended as a horn amplifier for use above 300Hz, but I think it'll have to serve preamp duty also, utilizing the TVC inputs and BBMCCCS loaded 12A's as preamp stage for bass amps...

Attachments

• p4090001.jpg
    p4090001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 732
Re: Re: 12A/71A SET project

Giaime said:

then I read more carefully...

:D

Hard to get sensitivity on a SE DHT amp without using 3 stages or those elusive KC3, RS242, RS241, etc... I went with cheaper and more available tubes so I could afford to bank 3 globe pairs of each.. Replacements can come in handy when using electronics from the 20's and 30's..

Giaime said:

Great project btw! Some details about your horn system?

Thanks

I only use horns for mid-highs, they are TAD4001 drivers mounted on round mahogany tractrix horns milled by a local woodworker. They sound so darn good I am absolutely positive they will stay in my system for decades ;) The lows are another story.. Relatively small onken cabinets employing 12'' altec drivers. Nice speakers really (by sound not look) but I can hardly integrate them with the mid horns. What I want is goto or ale bass compression drivers and horns (80Hz horns or so), but that won't happen the next 5 years I'm afraid :(

I have nothing on top of the TADs. They do fall off around 15kHz (they beam in this band), so I might try a bullet horn tweeter or something from 5kHz but it is not a priority. I will have to try before I buy... the HF rollof doesn't bother me so..

only the BBMCCCS circuits left now, but I need some stuff from the lab and it's easter-closed this week :headbash: Perhaps I'll just mount them on proto boards from the local shack.. don't think I can wait a week for them to power up :rolleyes: I'll figure out what to do in the morning..

Re: Re: Re: 12A/71A SET project

Rocky said:
I have nothing on top of the TADs. They do fall off around 15kHz (they beam in this band), so I might try a bullet horn tweeter or something from 5kHz but it is not a priority. I will have to try before I buy... the HF rollof doesn't bother me so..

Purty!

Earl Geddes claims that musical content above about 10 kHz is almost nil. I wouldn't really know as my hearing falls off pretty fast above about 12k anyway.

Sheldon

Sheldon;

Geddes may be very right on that.. ofcourse it all depends on the horn Fo, but mine are big, so they really don't perform too well in the highs.. thing is, with tractrix flare and round horns, in a small listening room like mine, the sweetspot is very small anyways, so it is not very noticable to me at what frequency they start beaming.. Also, I'm not a sucker for high frequencies even though I could hear 21kHz last time my hearing was checked. What I pay the most attention to in music is the band I built the horns for; voices and classical instruments, plus percussion - wich sound even better on the horns than it does in reality ;)

That being said, I haven't had high frequencies in my setup for quite some time... I might not realize what I am missing out on?? but who cares.. someday I'll find out... perhaps sometime soon :rolleyes:

The build has taken a little longer than planned as I decided to put chokes in place of the CCSs.. they're in the mail somewhere.. most other stuff is done though, a switch is wired up for selecting RCA or XLR (only two inputs), and another switch paralells the primary windings of the volume trannies for selectable 0dB or +6dB gain. Even though this is a small integrated amplifier, I designed it more like a preamp, using RCA jacks for all outputs; a passive output, a CF output from the 12A (impedance in the 5K5 range), and 16ohm + 32ohm outputs from the 71A and output transformers for driving headphones and my horns... Inside looks like a bombed ratsnest already...

Attachments

• p4190004.jpg
    p4190004.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 466
jlsem said:

Let's not forget that Dr. Geddes' background is car radios.

John

If one doesn't have anything substantive to say on the validity of a statement, one can simply question the heritage of the originator. How does that add anything to our knowledge of the subject? The statement regarding musical content frequency is straightforward. If you disagree, just say so.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.