hook up wire question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Can you take, say two 20awg, twist them together and make a wire that can handle higher voltage,current? Is this possible. reason I ask is I bought some silver wire and teflon shrink that I would like to use for this purpose. Are there cons to doing this? Voltages for my project range from tube filament volts to B+ of 425v.:xeye:

Yes, two wires in parallel will handle about twice the current of either of the wires alone. If you leave the insulation on the wires when you twist them together, you will also reduce the inductance by half.

Parallel wires will NOT handle higher voltage. Voltage ratings are determined by the insulator thickness alone. Every teflon insulated wire I have ever seen had a voltage rating of at least 600V.

It is not a good idea to parallel two unequal gauge wires if you will be running them at more current than the thinnest wire is rated to handle.

MR

Wire voltage...

A lot of wire is rated for 600V... ...findint wire for 450V should not be a problem, but it may become a little spendy.

If you want some high voltage wire, tear apart an old TV or computer monitor, and use the high voltage wire from the tube to the flyback. that stuff is really high voltage (the flyback ususlly generates around 25KV). If you do, just be sure the tube is discharged first... ...if in doubt, short it to ground.

-Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.