Balanced receiver and offset adjustment ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Balanced line receivers' schematics are easily found. I didnt' find much however with regards to trimming offset due to mismatch in the common-mode voltage.

My application is at the output of a pcm1798 DAC. It has differential, current-out outputs which need to be turned to unbalanced. Digital silence is at -3.5ma, which means offset after the I/V opamps. Most of it will be cancelled but a few mv of offset could still be there. I would like to avoid a coupling cap at the output of the DAC so what's the best way of getting rid of the possible offset left ?

The INA134 has an offset adjustment circuit but with a range limited to 300µV. And it is directly referenced to the power rails, something I'd prefer to avoid.

If anyone can point me to something, it'd be much appreciated. :)

00940 said:
...... It has differential, current-out outputs which need to be turned to unbalanced. Digital silence is at -3.5ma, which means offset after the I/V opamps. Most of it will be cancelled but a few mv of offset could still be there. I would like to avoid a coupling cap at the output of the DAC so what's the best way of getting rid of the possible offset left ?

Hi,
The offset at the output of the I-V converter opamp is defined by the Iout and resistor Rf. If you are using standard resistors with 1% tolerance, the offset between the positive and negative outputs can be arround 40mV for Rf=820 ohm +/-1% at worst. This offset appears at the output of the diff. opamp (gain=1). So, IMO, the best and simplest solution is to trim the Rf resistors in the I_V converters to obtain zero DC at the diff. opamp's output.

Regrads,
Milan

Attachments

• i_v.jpg
    i_v.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 233
I will use resistors hand matched to more like 0.1%. Still, this can give me something like 4mV, which is still too much for my taste (feeding it to a headphone amp with a gain of 11 would give me 44mv at the output, which is too much). And then on top of this, there is the offset of the opamps themselves (typically 1 or 2ma).

Trimming the I/V resistors means to put a trimmer in the I/V position and it's something I'd like to avoid since I plan to use high quality resistors in this particular position.

If I wanted to put a servo integrating the offset at the output, where should I feed it back ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.