Smooth Jazz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone out there like smooth jazz ? I graduated from the jazz-funk of the 70s and 80s to what is now called "smooth" jazz. It is greatly maligned and called "wallpaper" and "funky elevator music". I love it and most of the CD pressings are great Hi Fi.. Anyone else agree ?

There's a LOT of that stuff which is recorded very well. It'll drive me out of the room in 30 seconds or less. GRP is one label that comes to mind which specializes in audiophile releases of "smooth jazz."

It's a pity that none of this care in recording and mastering was lavished on Eric Dolphy.

ok, ok ...

i'll fess up :eek: i like SOME of what you might be calling smooth jazz.
i've been a big bob james fan of his early stuff (70s, 80s), as well as the early SpyroGyra, early dave grusion, very early (70s)patrice rushen (probably closer to fusion), early david sanborn, .....

do you see a trend in my comments? ;)

i have found, in general, that i may like the initial release or two of what we refer to as "smooth jazz" artists, before they settle into a formula.

of course, there are a few exceptions. for example, joe sample (writer, piano, keyboards), of whom I will buy whatever he releases without even a preview. i have never been dissapointed.
same for flim and the bbs, but i think they disbanded years ago ...

mlloyd1

Wow, there are others out there. I love Joe Sample, but I would say that he is not typical of the genre. I think '90 - around '95 produced some of the best Smooth/Funk - Jazz albums. Bob James has a new CD out "Urban Flamingo" I like it, but then I have most of his albums !

I'm definitely a Smooth Jazz fan. Fourplay, Joe Sample, Brian Simpson, Soul Ballet, Richard Elliot, Bob Baldwin, Wes Montgomery, Joyce Cooling and Paul Taylor are a few of the artists I listen to. I prefer instrumental music mostly. In the car I listen to The Jazz Cafe on Sirius Radio all the time and in the office. Sounds good enough in the car with all the road noise.

I listen to it mostly with several different tube amps I've built along with either Klipsch or Dynaco A-25 speakers. The recordings are mostly very good with a great deal of detail. I love it! But, I also like rock and country and classical so I'm not just limited to Smooth Jazz.

You're not alone!

Regards,

Anouar Brahem

Not to everybody's tastes but smooth jazz it is. http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7999393

BrahemAnouarAstoundingEyesOfRita.jpg

Last edited:
Tord Gustavsen Trio

If you're like me, love good smooth jazz & great sounding albums this is the best $100.00 dollars you will ever spend on three albums everybody knows the quality of the E.C.M. label well the Japanese versions are even better so go ahead give yourself a nice present you deserve it.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=tord+gustavsen+trio&media=&r=any&step=20&order=score

Album # 1 = Changing Places ( my favorite )

GustavsenTordChangingPlaces.jpg

Album # 3 = Being There

GustavsenTordBeingThere.jpg

Album # 2 = The Ground

GustavsenTordTheGround.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.