The most suitable 8" Fostex for FR horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The most suitable 8" Fostex for FR horn

I found the Fostex FE 206 E the most wide used and suitable driver for DIY horn enclosure regarding its linear range up to highs. But there are some more expensive Fostex drivers (FE 206 ES-R, FE 208 ESigma) with fine appereance and stronger die cast baskets. Does anybody has expirience with those double expensive drivers? Dallas II enclosure of Ron looks nice, but where can be found detailed plans?

The 206ES-R has just arrived on many door steps. I've read that it seems pretty special, but haven't heard much more than that at this point. I'm sure it's nicer than the regular 206, but beyond that, who knows.

The 208E Sigma is a very nice driver indeed. I've read that the 208 in the Fostex recommended horn with a supertweeter is pretty special!! One amazing driver. The Sigma series seems to have the best midrange of them all. And I've read that the bass on the 208 is better than that of the 206. Do note that the 208 does need a super tweeter, as it rolls off lower than the 206 does.

Either of the above drivers can be better than the 206, but implementation will make the difference. As for build quality, there's no comparison.

I agree, according to build quality FE206ESR seems to be the best among them, but Italian Fostex distributor's representator (Mis. N. de Angelis) noted that the F200A is their top model. In my opinion it lacks in sensistivity and power handling, but it goes pretty smooth from very low to high with good cone excursion. Costs double than ESR! For 50% more one can get Lowther PM2A, so I think it is too expensive. I'm not shure yet, but 206E might be the best value for money according to data sheets. Lack in the bass may be due to poor Fostex's horn design.

Iron

I think the 206ES-R is built the same as the Sigma series drivers, just so you know. It has a larger magnet, but otherswise is about the same, (aside from the cone, surround, etc.).

The F200A does look really nice. I've read that it's wonderful, it just isn't going to have the ultimate quickness of the more sensitive drivers, though I'm sure it's plenty fast for most. I'm sure it has a wonderfully musical sound and is probably easy to build a cab for it, no horn necessary.

If I were in your shoes and you can afford it, I'd probably go with the 206ES-R, or maybe even a Lowther PM2C. Just my thoughts. While the 206E is an amazing value, most folks end up moving up from there, as the upper end is pretty ragged.

Best of luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.