distortion in amp Please help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought an old amp that has 14 toshiba 2sa1943 and 14 toshiba 2sc5200 the amp plays but it has distortion at all volumes.

Any idea what could be wrong with it? It is a two channel amp has 7 2sa1943 and 7 2sc5200 for each channel it also has fault and clip lights on the amp. The fault and clip lights are not on.

here is a picture of the amp

Attachments

• dsc00877.jpg
    dsc00877.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 302
can a bad transister cause it to have distortion or would it not work at all if it had a bad transister. I bypassed the build in crossover and vol. knobs and it has the same distortion. So I know its not the crossover or the vol. knobs. could a bad resistor cause this? Both channels are doing the same thing. what should the rail voltage be? the rail voltage is around 130v is that to high or about right?

adlaic said:
I don't guess its that old of a amp the amp is a legion by madison model no LSA-2700 does anyone know anything about this amp. The louder you turn it up the less distorition you get. it is similer to this amp

http://www.legionsound.com/legion web/lsa2000.htm

any ideas

You seem to write a lot more than you read! :)
It sounds like a missing bias problem. Do you know how to measure it?

That amplifier (like most others) appears to have low voltage auxiliary rail supplies, probably +-15V. Since the fault appears in form of distortion equally in both channels, one of the first things that should be checked is whether these auxiliary supplies are working properly. The capacitor board appears to have a few smaller capacitors and heatsinks where +-15V regulators are probably located.

I have unsoldered the transistors off of one board when I check them with a ohm meter what reading should I get. On the NPN I am going from base to emitter and then base to collector. Same with the PNP but with the leads reversed. On the NPN I get readings and when I reverse the leads I get OL same with the PNP. But each transistor does not have the same reading.

When testing the transistors this way (B-E and B-C), the multimeter should read between 500 and 700 in one direction and OL in the other. Also, testing between E-C should produce OL in both directions. A few milivolts of difference between devices is normal. By the way, when mounting the transistors back try to place the ones with similar B-E readings together in the same bank.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.