re-use DCM time frame drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my pops is getting ready to move and was getting rid of 2 pair (4)
of time frames... the model escapes me but they're the larger of the bunch with an 8" a 3" and a dome
no names on the 8" and 3" the 8" is 5ohm and stamped - looks very nice - the mid is wimpy compared but ...
the tweeter is a vifa and nice

i'm getting rid of the boxes - water damage to the bottom, the overall size - they arent thick - but wide and tall

i'm saving the drivers and the x-overs - and i'm being told that not everything works - but i'm sure i can get a pair out of it

now with all that said - i'm looking at re-using the drivers in a smaller bookshelf sized speaker - droping the mid for a 2 way design - if the woofer will go that far,,, or the tweeter that low -

narrow profile - ported design - stubby in height - maybe with an off-set tweeter

or.. should i put what works up on ebay ;) and move on to the next

all input about drivers and anything else will be helpfull

big thanks

Timeframes...

are notorious for their use of cheesy drivers (not the Time Windows...).
When I sold these new, they had a bunch of things they did right, but driver quality wasn'talways the greatest. If given my 'druthers, I'd druther you rebuild the boxes with a couple of improvements:
1) make the enclosures out of Baltic Birch Ply
2) do not alter the internal dimensions of the enclosures
3) rebuild the cross overs using higher quality components and connectors
4) either build or have built a steel "T" frame that you can bolt to the bottom of the speaker and spike them. An alternative may be to use some "Home Depot" shelf brackets bolted to the back of the speaker, and an extension of sorts to the "bottom" of the bracket, and spiking those...

Time Frames were all "tippy" using a terrible rotating pair of mdf "feet" on them. They simply were not stable (I think some of the Magneplanars suffered from the same problem)

Attachments

• tf frame.jpg
    tf frame.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 98
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.