Seperate PS chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The last big decision for my ono project is whether or not I should have a seperate power supply. Basically I would like to know just how much difference in noise performance I can expect with a seperate chassis over an integrated chassis. Also, since money is a factor in this build, can I get satisfactory performance with an integrated chassis even if it's not recommended? Note: I am planning on using an avel lindberg "Y23 range" toroid.

Another question about a seperate power supply: What all should be included in the power supply chassis? I assume the transformer and rectifiers. But should I also put any the PS caps or filtering caps there, or should they go in with the preamp circuitry? Does it matter?

I'm seriously considering this for the rebuild of my Aleph5 because of the volume of the toroids.
I would be placing all the caps nect to the main pcb's and the toroids in a separate enclosure. Only problem I still have is finding a apropriate connector which can connect 7 wires (2x V+;2x V-; groundwire;on/off;2x switchwire). Even Leco connectors aren't rate for the V.A.....

Hi,
I cannot give you numbers but maybe clear you thoughts.

Think of your PSU as an RCRC supply.
The first R is the transformer and cable resistance upto the first smoothing cap.
The first C should be located very close to the rectifier and transformer (with integrated this compact first stage is important).

The second R is the cable resistance from PSU to amplifier (umbilical or integrated).

The last C is the main peak current supply into the amplifier. This should be located with the amplifier.

Adopting this allows you to set non zero Rs to suit your PSU Cs.

Add bypass caps to reduce interference (spikes and glitches) to match your strategy, but I suggest you place these at
1. the mains incomer,
2. at the secondary output,
3. at the rectifier,
4. at the smoothing caps (the last before leaving the PSU),
5. at the peak current caps and finally
6.at the main current consumers in the amplifier.
Six/seven or more in all.

Add decoupling caps on board your amp PCB, both low value and electro to again meet you philosophy.

Add snubbers,
1. at the mains switch,
2. at the rectifiers,
3. at the PSU output,
4. at the amp PCB power input terminals and/or at the low current end of the PCB supply rails.

How about a pair of XLRs at the amp end, captive at the PSU.
one high current and one lower current with an extra rj45 for your switching (low frequency data) and other signals to pass either way (4 pair flexibles are readily available).

Wire them like mains supply i.e. female receptacles, on the plugs which is opposite to signal carrying XLRs which have female sockets on inputs.

Hi Mastertech,
I differentiate between smoothing caps (first stage caps) and reservoir caps (amplifier's main peak current source).

I believe that the smoothing caps belong with the transformer and rectifier.
The current source caps belong with the amplifier.

Do you want to clarify your statement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.