Laser Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd gladly hire one for a few hours:
I've just obtained some unique direct-cut recordings by famous 'swing era' musicians. These comprise a ?celluloid film carrying the groove laminated to a glass carrier disc. Some are becoming delaminated, and could not be played conventionally without serious risk of destruction.
I suspect that a laser turntable would find serious application in conservation work like this.

It can no doubt be useful for archivists and the likes. I knew about the deck, but had never looked at the specs. And this, at least as I see it, shows that analogue and digital don't mix. A master, regardless if it's from 1966 or 2006, has a s/n ratio of about 65 db. Still you can get up to 90 real-world db from vinyl! You will never get 90 db from the CD. Even the DVD-A might not touch vinyl, again in the REAL world. And that's at least where I live. "Digital" and "hi-rez" are the creations of the marketing departments. They have nothing to do with the world as we know it.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jcgl/Scots_Guide/iandm/part12/page2.html

@phn - I do not know where you get your values for the LP from.
I have a decent playback system for analogue, but the audible s/n of the lp does not reach the level of the cd.
I do not know what you mean by real world, but definitely your experiences do not match mine.
Read the above for reasons - very clearly explained - why vinyl is definitely worse in s/n than digital - in real world terms.

I've sometimes wondered how a purely analog, optical audio format (think laserdisc, but 2-channel audio only) would work. Would it be better than Redbook CD? (I'd have to think so.) Better than LP? (Possibly, perhaps signal-to-noise would be better.)

I suspect you could even get higher signal-to-noise by putting less music on a side (much like you can do with LPs).

Any thoughts on this matter? (I realize it's an economic impossibility . . . )

audio-kraut, I linked to my source in a previous post.

The redbook CD has theoretically 16 bits. Most CDs have less than 14 bits. Digital formats are constant underachievers. Vinyl, in contrast, seems to be an overachiever. The Audioholic measurements are just that, real world measurements. Check it out.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Digital formats as used by the record industry are underachievers, but used by European broadcasters (the only ones I know about), they're good. What's the difference? Decent metering. The music industry traditionally used VU meters whereas the broadcasters used PPMs. As a result, a number of CDs I've played recently had peaks of only -10dFS - throwing away 10dB of dynamic range. By contrast, broadcasters have always peaked to within 2dB of 0dBFS because their meters allowed them to do so safely.

And don't even get me started on how easy it is to do digits badly...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.