passive preamp with buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm planning to build a passive preamp with the following feature:

three phono inputs, switched to a phono pre amp (studio type, with balanced out, the board I have already and it is very quiet)
one balanced input
two single ended inputs

all inputs will have level control through some noble pots
all single ended inputs get convertet to balanced via OPA 633 and then fed to a buffer amp build with the OPA 627 (all those I have in my kit)
Output is balanced only and will feed a digital chain.

For the converter circuit I will use the one in the opa 633 manual.

Any suggestion or thoughts?

Thanks for any deedback in advance

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi audio-kraut,
Yes, you should use buffers to drive the output. They should give much better performance than transformers if you build them right. I question the balanced thing, but okay.

TI / Burr Brown have a new single ended to balanced converter chip you can try. It's the DRV-134.

-Chris

I question the balanced thing

thanks for the hint.
I like to stay balanced :) as I feed into a balanced digital processing chain which right now consistst of the scr/deq/dcx 2496.

I thought it therefore cleanest to run balanced right through the preamp, especially as the phono preamp board outputs balanced signal.

Switching will be done by multilevel five pole switches.

As to the buffer circuit including the opa 627 - the only one I could find is on the burr brown data sheet. Any others out there?

This is my first time trying to design something from scratch w/o the benefit of a well funded electronic education, so I need some help sometimes, even in an apparent simple matter as this project.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi audio-kraut,
The DRV134 doesn't need a driver. It will do all that by itself. Better than many op amp driver type circuits. It does "want" to see a low impedance source, so a buffer before the DRV134 is a good idea.

So all you have to do now is focus on a quiet regulator circuit and wiring. Esp. the grounds.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.