Impedance curve shape

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a question :wave:

Is the impedance curve shape what matters or only the valley value?
I understand that if a too low impedance value is presented to the amp, the available current output couldn't be enough:sorry: . So this has to be considered for the amp.
But, what if the shape is up and down all the time without getting too low values?? This won't put any stress in the amp, but this would mean that different frequencies would produce different current values, wouldn't it? Does this affect the sound?:scared:

I'm not talking about the crossover, but about the resulting load presented to the amp

Drivers and speakers are made to produce constant sound output at a constant drive voltage. Well-designed amps will do a remarkably good job of providing a constant-voltage source (i.e., low source Z) to a load with an impedance that varies across the frequency band of interest, assuming the speaker designer hasn't done something stupid like have the |Z| drop to ridiculously low values.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For the most part, the amplifier doesn't have much
problem with this, and usually an impedance dip over
a small degment of the frequency band is not a problem.

Impedance variations are more of an issue for passive
crossover networks, another reason I prefer active
crossovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.