Clock Cap Value on CD40 Marantz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tubenut said:
Hi all

Does anyone have a service manual that may tell me what the value of the two SMD caps on the clock crystal are on this CDP?

Wanna do a quick few mods on a friends player but without going the whole clock route. Will replace caps with silver mica types.

Regards

Hi

Probably 22 or 33 pF. my advise: Don't spend money on the mica's, they won't turn lousy clock electronics into a decent one.......

best

Yes still interested thanks

Hi Guido & Fin

I will not dispute the fact tht a good clock makes a big diff.
However, my friend is not spending real money and I will probably work on his machine for a bottle of reasonable wine....
I probably have some of the silver mica's in my parts bin, they may not make a Tent/Trichord/LC/Kwak clock but they are free to me :), a new clock would not be.....

Thanks Fin

Re: Yes still interested thanks

tubenut said:
Hi Guido & Fin

I will not dispute the fact tht a good clock makes a big diff.
However, my friend is not spending real money and I will probably work on his machine for a bottle of reasonable wine....
I probably have some of the silver mica's in my parts bin, they may not make a Tent/Trichord/LC/Kwak clock but they are free to me :), a new clock would not be.....

Thanks Fin

Hi,

I understand your point, curious about your results.

best

I have replaced the clock caps on my Theta Data Basic II and that definately improved things. The Theta clock does not seem std pierce by the way, it seems to use a crystal, transistor , 2 caps of 68 pf I think and 2 caps of 22 pf or something like that.

Myself and a friend both liked the results of changing the ceramic bead jobs to silver mica types......

G

PS, I have fitted trichord clock 2 to a Marantz CD17 and a Philips CD850 and liked the result a lot. I would rate the silver mica caps at 50-60 % the effect of a trichord clock 2...

Guess some of the clockers out here would rate the trichord at 40-50 % of theirs...... ;)

Still leaves me with 25% for free!!!!!

tubenut said:
Hi all

Does anyone have a service manual that may tell me what the value of the two SMD caps on the clock crystal are on this CDP?

Wanna do a quick few mods on a friends player but without going the whole clock route. Will replace caps with silver mica types.

Regards

Cap number 2630: Value 47pF, and the same cap number 2631.
Ciao
Riccardo

tubenut said:
Hi all

Regards

But, silver mica could be a very strong error.
You could simple leave the original caps.They are good enough, and small enough.
Or if you want, but without great difference, you could try ceramic multilayer, smd.
Imho
ciao
R

Re: Re: Clock Cap Value on CD40 Marantz

riccardo said:

But, silver mica could be a very strong error.
You could simple leave the original caps.They are good enough, and small enough.
Or if you want, but without great difference, you could try ceramic multilayer, smd.
Imho
ciao
R

Ciao Riccardo

Could you explain us why silver mica is an error ?

With SMD, I'd prefer NP0 material

best

Re: Re: Re: Clock Cap Value on CD40 Marantz

Guido Tent said:

Ciao Riccardo

Could you explain us why silver mica is an error ?

With SMD, I'd prefer NP0 material

best
Ciao Guido

Okay for SMD npo, i would say ceramic COG dielectric.They don't change ESL e ESR with increasing of temperature too, like or better than npo.imho
Silver mica: the problem could be the solder junction between leads and mica chips.Could be not so conductive, for age and oxydation.
Sorry sorry for my english...
Riccardo
www.audiofaidate.it

hi i replaced the surface mounts with two 10 p siver nica and the sound changed so much that i could not belive gone the warm congested sound to one open clear with fine background deatail it was like the same result as a trichord clock 4 my player is a dad5 with surface mount components

@whats gan on - dad5

Hi,

I´ve read your dad5 mods with many interests....
yesterday my 3 rdone arrive (back tothe roots after having a arcam 192 died in a hazard shock)

First question...I´ve problem to get the mainboard out ofthe housig.....(after loosing all screws and clips) also the ground plate

Do you have a advice for me.....?

Second...do you have photo of your mods which show exactly what you´vechanged (soldering points)

Kind regards marcus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.