FLH for Jordan drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think you could fit a phase plug to either of the Jordan drivers - you'd have to interfere with the centre cap, which is part of the cone design. The JXR6 does have quite a pronounced centre cap for the size of driver so you could regard this as a phase plug and work with it.

AFAIK, there was someone in Wales a few years ago who produced custom horns for the Jordan drivers, using the JX53 for mid/treble. So it can be done. The horns were built in situ and designed around the room, so there are no published designs I am aware of.

Nelson's J-Low article gave a good case for only back-loading the JX92 and leaving the front radiation untouched.

Actually I did that temporarily for fun :D

I have a pair of Flagon, which comes with Jordan Watts unit & a special ceramic "vase" served as a dampened/vented "box".

http://www013.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rasenkan/audio/flagon.htm
(just in case you didn't know it)

I mated the Flagon with Oris 150 round tractrix horn. With the original "vase" as the back chamber & just put the speakers & horns together without any fixings. (So there's a small gap between driver surround & horn throat.... )

And I put the Jordans on a pair of small stools, lined up with horn throats, & with the mouths actually touch the floor.

They looked jus like a real mess of experiments. Well, what the heck, just for fun.

I listened to them sitting on the floor, too, head down, very near the horn mouths, within only 1 meter or so.

Well, how did they sound?
They sounded fantastic, a really big surprise!

The horn itself can not support frequencies below 150Hz in free standing, but the floor helps a lot. And within nearfield, I lose not much highs. By ears, it remained pretty much fullrange as it is, with much much more dynamics & details. Very similar to a pair of ultra big & powerful earphones.

At that time I did not have RTA to scan the frequency. I guess there would probably be many dips & peaks everywhere. By ears, it's well balance, & slightly tends to warm & rich. Warmer balance then the speaker itself without horn.

I know, it's faaarrrr from mature setups. The driver itself might be not so proper for horn loading. However it revealed the 'potential' very well.

Such thing won't give you everything, but it can surely cheer you up. Give it a try if you can.

Full range+ front loaded horn is nirvana. So hard, even impossible to achieve. With a proper horn, we can have a little taste of that nirvana.

Have fun! That's what DIY's for :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.