Volume control for lm3875 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought one of the kits from Peter Daniels, and am curious what value of pot will work best as a volume control. I'll probably pick up a PEC Dual. It looks like I can get 1k, 5k or 10k in linear, and pretty much the full range in log.

Any advice?

-Nick

It's non inverting.
thanks for the suggestion on the stepped attenuator, but I've got easier, faster, and cheaper access to good pots. I'll keep it in mind for future experimenting though, if I can find a reasonably priced one in Canada.

-Nick

I've previously used a 10K pot with a TDA2050 amp (pdf's layout) and it worked fine, When I tried it with a LM3876 IC (own layout)it would generate noise.

My question is can you use the volume pot alone with no other components, like a buffer?

I rekon that it was probably bad PCB layout that caused it to make a buzz when attenuating the input signal.

If I can use only the pot it would make my amp way easier.

10K step Attenuator

I know this tread is a little old but I have another question with the subject.

I have a 10K step attenuator but I would like to use this in a passive preamplifier and use it for universal testing (also a non inverted gianclone and other amplifiers). What problems I might see in this idea with a (non-inverting) gainclone?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.