Peavey MB-1 info please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3d data ?

HI, im interested in finding more info about Peavey MB-1 mid-bass horns, becuse they are so hard to find, or they were so few made, i would like to know more about them, unfortunatelly not even in the www.peavey.com search could find something, only mb-2 30"wx16"hx25"d or the hdh-4 with the mb-3 thats even smaller!, but nothing about the Peavey MB1, please share a 2D/3D X-Ray of the MB1 , like 3D .jpg with measures H x W x D , outside inside, mouth , throat, material, thick, etc.. i really would try to build ones if i like what i see... long ago i send to make 4x JBL 4560 and 4550 modified to be standing vertically,

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Low_Frequency_Enclosures2.pdf
loaded with Peavey 1505-8 KA DT that sounded way louder that JBL 2226H at half the Watts!, but results were not what i dreamed for so long, i active crossover them with JBL M553 at 180Hz-200Hz to 1Khz, the 8x JBL 2241H were not enough to match the 4x Peavey 1505-8 ka dt with a qsc mx-2000a each in jbl single 4560a horns and 4x 2446j at 1khz 100w-150w each in a qsc mx-1500a,
later i did test an find out that both the 2446j and 2241h have enough mids up to 500Hz and down to, so I could use bi-amp with 4inch diaphragm JBL 2446J they sounded Great, so i decided i have no need in mid horn loading, i sold them, but now im thinking again, becouse those JBL 2446J sound really LOUD, and Gold with the M553 2380a horn EQ, but from 9Khz and up, the 4" diaphragm sound like 8 bits! its weird at 500Hz sound like 24-Bits,!, so i decided to again go to 3-way amp with JBL 2405H, but now i find that 2x per each JBL 2446j with 2380a horn are not near enough in SPL, if i put a Low pass filter in 9Khz to the 2446J,
so now im thinking more about smaller diaphragm driver than 4" of the 2446j , something less tha 1.75" , = more but smaller drivers does not go to 500Hz, so i must go again to 3-way becouse the 18" up to 1.6kHz i think that wont sound right, ej, too big & slow 18" 4" and too fast & too small 1"/1.25"/1.4"/1.75" driver diaphragm,
the other set up sounded great becouse both had 4inch voice coils the 18" and the 2446j 4" diaphragm at 500Hz sounded BIg & detailed & nice trumpet sound,
but dilema goes from 9Khz and up,

thats why im interested again in mid-horn loading, 10inch or 12 inch or even 15 inch again, balancing the Lows and the Mids right or the high and the VHF its hard to me, so it does not feel like a Stair in the sound, im searching the smooth eficient great golden sound sort of speak,
I got nothing better to do than to thinking all day to know more about the Peavey MB-1 ,. if its worth buid one or if its better
to buy the PylePro PPM501 ..
http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PPM501
, in eBay at less than $200us.dls and replace the stock pyle 15" woofer, with the new Peavey BWX 1508-8 he thats 1OOdB 1W 1M, and 5OOW AES!!!! = aprox +o-127dB! + the ppm501 horn = who knows? maybe more than 133dB each! or the very nice & eficient Peavey 1505-8 KA DT,
but Im still crazy to know about the Peavey MB1 with 12" before i take a path to follow,
in my mind its like more tweeters vs. no tweeters but more & smaller 1"/1.25"/1.4" diaphragm drivers with 10" or 12" or 15" in horn loaded mid-bass, and the great JBL 2241H i still have
BUT.. now im thinking about building a similar to
http://www.ramsdellproaudio.com/products/subs/WH1-DBL.htm
those cerwinvega loaded with 2241h does not sound, maybe properly loaded sound better, but cut & folded horn, dont think so

please be nice , please make the Peavey MB-1 x-ray plans! in .jpg

also im thinking about getting at JBL parts the 10" horn that comes with the VS2210-6 or -9, but dont know whats best 90° or 60° yet , cant decide also JBL 108dB 106dB are in small letters half space = -6dB at full space and only go to 300Hz, if i go for more tweeters or for a smaller diaphragm highs = no need for tweeters but will need horn mids! i would like to build like a electrovoice MH640 or MH960, but with a smaller HF diaphragm like b&c de10 1" or rcf n270 or ev dh3 or peavey rx14 or selenium , eminence or others that are 1.4", like turbosound thl 811 but with better components, = more watts,
or like Community R1-64X

dont get me wrong, i decided to build , send to build the JBL single horn 4560 when i saw this
http://www.aiko.com/roscoe/diy_intermediate.html

i loaded my ex-JBL 4560 with Peavey KA DT & sounded GREAT, specially and even more Powerfull, like more BOLD & More Detailed Sharp if i stack 2 jbl 4560a side by side horizontally not vertically like the .jpg with Peavey KA DT from 180Hz-200Hz up to 1kHz with the M553 they sound HUGE and Detailed = you can hear something changes in the air, from hollow to Real to complete, small details in the mid-bass previusly unknown = great but = hard to move arround, I have the oportunity to buy Peavey MB-2 and from that make another 2 , but I want to know first what im missing with the MB1s!
i think sinlge 15" with 33" W isnt enough for 200Hz, 2x15 and 66" W its awesome

thats why i need your Peavey MB-1 X-Ray Plans!
please make them!

i guess your altec lows gives more mids, than the peavey mb1, ill guess il end up building those Altec for Mid-Bass 200Hz to 1Khz

http://www.speakerplans.com sort of!
like http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/professional/vegabass/subs.html
please make the Peavey MB-1 like:
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/professional/vegabass/images/foldedhorn.gif
but Top, side, rear, etc..
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/default.php/cPath/1
http://www.volvotreter.de/pics_plans.htm

peavey mb-1 vs. jbl 4560 vs. pyle ppm501 vs. mb-2 vs. altec
10" vs. 12" vs. 15"
if i end up making a 10" ill guess ev dl10x or peavey 1008 or www.18-sound.de 10/12/15mb700 or usspeaker.com partsexpress.com

Thanks

Peavey MB-1

Just bought four of them. They sound really, really nice. They were a little dusty and need a fresh coat of paint, but I'm extremely impressed with the way they sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Because they are so efficient, I can stiffen up the 210's and drop in some JBL 2225's to (hopefully) coax a little more low end out of the big Altec cabinets. Four 2225's in two of the 210's and four Altec 515's in the other two should give me a nice combination (along with the Peavey MB-1's) of mid-bass projection and low end thump.

I've got to believe that eight 15" woofers can move some serious air...........

www.peavey.com customer service emailed a .PDF of the Project One Two Three Series , when i asked about the MB-1,

Project One has the MB-1
and FH-2
Project Two has the MB-2 MB2
and FH-1

but searching in the peavey web site, still cannot find the file
customer service emailed in request!
so here its a snapshot of the last page that comes with the MB-1

here its a SnapShot of most relevant parts of it in .GIF 87a 16 colors Hi contrast ratio no dithering
becouse , diyaudio.com does not allow for bigger thank 100K files, to send the 676 KB .PDF file

Peavey customer service sended a The Project Series: Project1.PDF 676 KB

last page says,
MB-1
110lbs.
20-3/4H x42W x38D
8 ohms = cant be the Black Widow 12" 1202-4 with inverted dust cap BlackWidow. only was made in 4ohms, acording to www.peavey.com
Sound Pressure 1W1M = 109dB !! WOW
60°Hx30°V

since making a MB-1 its verry hard, Im thinking more about taking the Pyle PPM501 and putting inside a BlackWidow 1501-4 that in the computer response curves gives 1dB more than Peavey 1508-8he thats the most eficient & loud 15" speaker per Watt, ive found so far!

ill post later some JBL 4560 & 4550 modified

anyway i asked peavey to build again the MB-1, anyone interested should contact them also:

www.peavey.com Contac Us
Product Suggestions
To communicate with Peavey's Marketing Department, email marketing@peavey.com

havent received an answare yet,

they should make it in 10" also & 15" ?

I got all the answares, from that Project1.PDF
Thanks Anyway!

Enjoy them, you are so lucky verry verry lucky, like the song of Frans Ferdinald music group

Attachments

• peavey project series.zip
    93 KB · Views: 323
peavey-fh-2-mb-1-mf-1

I was reading some of the threads, I OWN A COUPLE SET OF THESE PEAVEY SPEAKERS.THEY ARE VERY LOUD WITH LITTLE WATTS. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE RICH AND COLORFUL SOUND THESE MONSTERS MAKE. I RECIEVED ALL TWELVE(12) OF THESE PIECES AT A YARD SALE.WITH A LITTLE WORK,NOW I HAVE A HUGE SOUND. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THE SIZES OF THE BOXES E-MAIL ME @ THESCOREBAND@FUSE.NET.
I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, IF ANYONE KNOWS THE WATT OF THE MID CABINET(MB-1).
THANKS.

P.S.I HAVE $100.00 DOLLARS INVESTED IN THESE PIECES.

I used to sell and use those back in the day. They were not that great.

Peavey will never go back to building horn loaded boxes. Those things have limited applications. That is not where live PA is now and thank God will never return. You can build them though.

You need to find drivers with the proper T/S parameters.

MB-1

<<I used to sell and use those back in the day. They were not that great.

Peavey will never go back to building horn loaded boxes. Those things have limited applications. That is not where live PA is now and thank God will never return. You can build them though.

You need to find drivers with the proper T/S parameters.>>>>

I totally disagree with these sentiments. First of all, the MB-1 is a complex molded structure, so I doubt that anyone can simply "build one." With it's phase plug, it takes a rugged 12" driver with an Fs of around 55 Hz. and gives you a Controlled Directivity horn that responds from 150 Hz. to 1.2 Khz. They measure well and sound AMAZING on piano, guitar, vocals, saxophone, etc. IOW, the CRITICAL midrange ("Where we live" according to the late great Paul W. Klipsch).
I actually own 2 and measured them, and I use them every day in my system (not going from hazy memory or specs). Coupled with JBL 2360 horns and 2446 J drivers, it's the BEST ever sound I've ever had between 200 Hz. and 6 Khz, without any EQ and simple first order networks. Add some choice super tweeters and Klipsch MWM woofer sections, with BIG bass reflex subwoofers below 50 Hz. and you have an unbetable 4-way home system with subs.

I coudn't care less about the way that modern PA systems have gone. These older devices were otimized for high efficiency (108-111 db range) and low distortion.........NOT for the modern convenience of flying hardware and cheap high power amps.

They represent the best of uncompromised sound vs. convenient and overly LOUD in the modern concert venues.

In a home with the space and a tolerant wife, they are simply the most realism you can squeeze out of any good recording.

They are complex for a complete novice to build but they are not complex for someone that builds folded horns, etc. Nothing that wood, clamps and time can't handle.

I was not stating that these are inferior to modern PA. The MB1 and modern PA boxes are apples and oranges. One concept is typical of good form following good function. I think we all know which is which. I was merely stating that calling Peavey and asking them to retool and make these boxes is just crazy. They won't do it. They are trying to make money in today's market and the MB1 is not for today. That's all.

I stand by what I said about the sound quality. There were better boxes/drivers. You may not have heard them all. We sold ALL of the major manufacturers back then and side by side, there were major differences. There was a reason that Peavey was not acceptable on tour tech riders when the MB-1s were current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.