box size for 13" w7??.. The one I built is no good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
box size for 13" w7??.. The one I built is no good

built a 2.8 cu ft sealed box to use with my HT system and it doesn't sound right. Not very loud. Amp is a Behringer 2500. So its getting plenty of power. The xover is a behringer ultradrive 2496.

I have no clue on what size to make the new box. This box for sure isn't right because the sub doesn't get loud, or sound good. Sub isn't blown and works fine just doesn't get deep etc like a 13" w7 does.

Please help

Thanks.

If you are comparing this to the way it sounds in a car, prepare to be absolutely disappointed. Car subs can be used in the home, but the boxes will usually have to be much larger, and low-end extension as well as overall output will be drastically resuced.

Sorry.

Bassreflex: 155 liter, 2x port of 10cm diameter, 57.3cm long. This will give you a 19 Hz -3dB

Sealed: 69.8 liter, 39Hz -3dB. That's not a serious subwoofer for HT use.

Your box gives a 38.5 Hz -3 dB. Indeed: that won't impress. If you want it for your HT, use a sealed box with active correction, or go for ported.

Yeah sure, you'll gain around 10 dB at 20 Hz, so about twice the loudness for your ears.

It also depends on how much space you can give to that box.
More space = more lower bass.

For a huge excursion driver like yours, I would suggest going with passive radiators if you have some money left. Fitting ports long enough and large enough to keep the noise down is hard.

BTW you said it's not loud enough with 1200W ? It should be very loud, but not go that low. The gains are high enough?

well the behringer does 1200 watts per channel at 2 ohm and 750 watts at 4 ohm. So I'm guessing it should be getting around 1k watts or so. The sub is at a good friends house at the moment. But its not moving like a w7 should. The gain is up till it starts to clip and thats about half.

I don't know if the amp doesn't like 3 ohm or what. This is the first time I've used the amp. My friend has a brahma he was going to free air off the amp to see if the amp isn't working correctly.

I don't know if I should just use the w7 for my car or just sell it and get something different.

Put the box in a corner to see if it's loud enough.

I mean, with techno/rap and such, it should be loud enough, you should get the chest punching bass.

If it's really the deep bass you're missing, then going ported or with passive radiators will correct the problem.

Your amplifier is more than enough if it's working correctly.

Maybe check the coils to be sure they are in series and in-phase.

its wired up right, hooked the amp up to friends towers and they were way louder and you could tell the amp was giving them more power then the receiver could ever do. So that should be working.

I know its the box now, I just don't know if I should build another one or buy a different sub. I want earth shaking bass. I want to feel the bass and explosions during movies.

Well a 13W7 is a good subwoofer to get earth shaking bass if you want to allow it enough space...

For example, here a simulation of your box (2.8 cu.ft internal net)with your subwoofer versus your subwoofer in a 6 cu.ft internal net box ported with two 4 inches diameter ports, both with 900W RMS imput.

In it, you can see what you'll gain in low end versus your current box.

Attachments

• 13w7.jpg
    13w7.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 251
Sorry I was wrong and you were right, I checked with WinISD and the formula to be sure.

I had an old box design in my head that was tuned low with a single port, didn't think that adding a second port not that much longer in a not much bigger box could have a quite good tuning like that.

Sorry again!

maybe you are just making a bigger deal out of the lack of loudness than what I am thinking it should be, but like others have said, it should move, and should be loud still. It may not be chest thumping tear the house down loud, but it should be among the loudest home sealed box subwoofers you have ever heard. Given room gain, that should have in room response to below 20hz. Mine does, and its FS is 35hz or so. In room its F3 is 24hz and its F10 is 18hz. It also measured at a much lower distortion in that range, on the order about about 10% less, but I have limited equipment to measure this. This very one sided pro ported response you are getting isn't giving the sealed box its fair shake, both have advantages and disadvantages to the other.

As for the lack of loudness. You definatly have the coils hooked up right, the crossover is definatly hooked up right, etc? Do you have a SPL meter? Test tones? I would take some measurements, if you can't get atleast 105 decibles at say 50-60hz, something is seriously wrong. I would expect much higher, maybe more like 110 or so. What home subs do you have to compare with, what is your point of refrence, is it a car?

not to doupt your knowledge of this stuff, but you know the coils have to be wired in series, not parallel, to get the 3 ohm load. You definatly did this right. I have seen many many guys do this wrong and wonder why there sub doesn't sound loud enough, or play loud enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.