• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Silver Wire Deep Cryogenically Treated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Deep Cryogenic Treatment

I had all my Wire and Connectors DCT at a commecial Facility, basically they use a Chamber which holds the components to be treated, I dont believe (but I could be wrong) that the components are actually immersed in, or touch the Liquid Nitrogen, however I do have to ensure they have a protective covering. The Chamber is then held at LN temps for a extended Period, the components go through a number of Cycles of Lowering and raising the temp.

It actually alters the structure of the Metal and yes you can hear it, the odd thing is the Silver Wire lost its Brightness (typical Silver Wire Characteristic) it has the Harmonic Richness of Copper with the Resolution of Silver.

If you have ever seen someone handle Liquid Nitrogen you'll realise that its a bit risky for DIY work!

Mozfet

DCT Silver Price

The 0.71mm is £6 (6 GBP) and the 0.2mm is £3 (3 GBP) Teflon or Silicon Sleeve is £0.50 (0.5 GBP) all per Metre. I also have Various Copper Wires and Connectors, (chassis mounting and Line), if any one is interested just e-mail me, I feel guilty enough hogging all this space!

Mozfet

Sterling

Standard Sterling Silver Wire has a bad reputation sonically, I have tried various types of wire Annealed and Non-Annealed and of varying degrees of purity and have been shocked at the differences between them, the Wire I eventually chose was the best sounding I had tried, of course the Wire you work with as a Silver Smith may be transformed when DCT, I suggest you try it (listening) against other Silver Wires. The prospect of buying Silver Wire at £1.50 really Appeals to me, but not if its as as bad as some of the types I tried previously. I should point out I'm not a Metalurgist (Electronics) but I did talk to a few when looking for 'The Right Silver' most of course thought using Silver for Audio Cables rather eccentric!

Mozfet

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SOUND OF SILVER

Mozfet and all concerned,

the odd thing is the Silver Wire lost its Brightness (typical Silver Wire Characteristic) it has the Harmonic Richness of Copper with the Resolution of Silver

Good quality silver wire does note sound bright at all,silverplated copper will though.
Quite a bit of that has and maybe still is traded as silver!

And indeed good quality silver has intrinsically higher resolution then copper it also has 8% better conductivity.
Surely Audionote (one of the manufacturers that are using silver all over their designs) cables or OPTs do not sound bright or deficient in the bass department?

Standard Sterling Silver Wire has a bad reputation sonically, I have tried various types of wire Annealed and Non-Annealed and of varying degrees of purity and have been shocked at the differences between them, the Wire I eventually chose was the best sounding I had tried, of course the Wire you work with as a Silver Smith may be transformed when DCT, I suggest you try it (listening) against other Silver Wires. The prospect of buying Silver Wire at £1.50 really Appeals to me, but not if its as as bad as some of the types I tried previously. I should point out I'm not a Metalurgist (Electronics) but I did talk to a few when looking for 'The Right Silver' most of course thought using Silver for Audio Cables rather eccentric!

Surely,if it was as bad as you make it out to be I wonder why you didn't stick with copperwire in the first place?
And,sterling silver is not to used in cables.
It has not the same purety that is required for audio wires.

No guys,this is a myth and I blame a number of factors:

Silver wire lets you hear a lot more of what's going wrong with the rest of the audio chain,moreover in combination with a bright and harsh sounding cd-player it will sound as such.

I see a lot of people trying desperately to get rid of cd nastiness,brushing a lot of microdetail under the carpet in the process.
This is one way to explain the sudden succes of the usually mellow and lush sound of most SET tube amps?
Surely the tube business has prospered from it but don't blame silver wire for what it lets through please!

When using silver use it from source through speakers,even rewire your every single connection in the audio chain with it and you will hear components for what they are really worth.
Anything else is just aural compensation.

Now to be fair and open with you I designed quite a number of silver based interconnects and sales are still increasing every month contrary to any other economical tendency.
Must be doing something right...

I don't mean to be hard on anyone but when I hear people making claims like that I just get this adrenalin rush.

Regarding cryo treatment: if the drawing of the wires if done properly and slowly as it is done at the factory we buy from it will not make one bit of difference.
BTW,you can reanneal your silver wire at 180 degrees C in the kitchen oven as well if you must.
Just be careful your not cooking your insulation along with it.:att'n:
Silicone and teflon based insulators will survive,anything I doubt.
Don't forget you will have to burn it in again too.

I think there's a lot more that can go wrong in the audio chain than using a very fine conductor as this,don't you?

Best regards,:)

Silver Sound

Silver does sound brighter than Copper, this has been mentioned in the Hi-Fi Press lots of times, I know of people who dont like Silver Cables because of this. I have used Audio Note Silver Cables as well as AudioQuest Diamond and a few other designs, I'm certain in the StereoPhile review of the Diamond, they mentioned the possible negative reaction of adding the Diamond to System balance.

Concerning the sound of certain Silver wires, yes some were bad, worse than Copper!

Regarding Cryogenic Treatment, sorry you cannot imitate the results by 'drawing' technique I cant imagine where you got that idea, your own brand of Myth? (also you can get Extruded Silver Wire) The main customers for Cryo Treatment are Engineering Businesses who have Machine tools treated, because they last longer, the Structure of the metal is altered, for the better. Racing Car teams are another main customer.

Finally, yes fdegrove I agree there are far more important things in a system, but when I was looking into cables as part of a system, I really looked and listened.

Mozfet

Mozfet,
Some time ago I managed to get quite a few meters of 1mm silver wire that was drawn by a small goldsmith workshop. I feel that it does let a lot of resolution through but it can sound bright in some circumstances depending on system balance. The funny thing is that this effect is also very apparent when used as digital i/c with a lot more dynamics. However the brightness is still noticeable and I am not sure if it is the cable or that I am hearing "more". Who knows what is exactly on the cd anyway?
I was also wondering about diameter size and how it affects sonics.Have you made any comparisons? Perhaps 1mm is too big for an i/c. That's why I am considering your cryo silver since in general terms I think it is the way to go.I also don't know if the supposed long grain crystal silver offered by audiocom is a myth.I have bought some but haven't had the opportunity to test it yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.