Wool cone - silver flute???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im searching on this site and cant seem to find anyone that speaks of the Silver flute wool cone speakers.
My questions are.
1) How are wool cone speakers??....hows the sound and quality compared to paper or carbon fiber??.

2)How are the silver flute speakers? are they a decent purchase??How come I dont find very many projects that use them??.

Thanks guys.

well... I haven't seen any systems using the Silver Flute speakers other than zaphaudio.com
That's the only one that I know of. I am building that one right now and i am still " almost done" but so far with running full range in a small sealed box it sounds half decent... goes pretty low for a 5incher. Can't wait to have the XO done and see what it can really do
AUSSiE

The cones are generally pretty good. They are a bit more rigid than the average paper or carbon fiber, and they do have breakup nodes. The surrounds and frames of the Silver Flute woofers are also very good, but the motor assembly is generally low tech. Just a straight flat pole piece without any special geometry. As such, harmonic distortion is only average or slightly higher, and Le is kinda high too. Overall, the woofers are a good value, considering the low cost.

ps. The Silver flute planar tweeters suck however.

Here's one project with the 5.5":

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker13.html

I have 20 pieces of the 6.5" 4ohm Silver Flute drivers sitting around, having arrived from Madisound about a month ago. Honestly, I have just looked at the drivers but haven't played any music through them to even comment.

However the build quality is excellent given the rather low price.

I already have the crossover parts; I made my own xover board and these are to be paired with HiVi's K1 dome tweeters. I am sure to try these out in a couple of days in a QWT. I will report when I have done some listening.

I played a lot with the Silver Flutes, 6.5 in, 4 ohms.

These are very, very good drivers. We could compare the sound of our 2 way prototypes with mucho expensive Micro Utopia (around 6K$) and guess what, the Silver Flutes, properly used are way smoother than the Micro Utopia Be.

When I say, properly used, I mean, forget about simulations and try these in exotic enclosures (TL, very large BR or double BR) and they are absolute gems.

The difference between those and ScanSpeak Revelators is very small, it's like there clones of the Scan Speak...

Well I am going to give you a review on the silver flute woofers. I did a 2 way design years ago maybe about 9 years ago? I bought them from madisound at the time. I used a sea's soft dome tweeter. The model of the silver flute is W17rc38-08 the 6.5 inch woofers. I built a floor standing box with it being rear ported and I put a sand trap on the top and bottom of the box very heavy for a little floor standing box. I will tell you this these drivers are very, very good. They are warm sounding and very natural for what I can remeber. My friend came over and heard them and he said theysounded like a $1,500 vennia bach speakers we both heard a few months before. I hooked them up and my wife asked if I could keep them she liked them that much. My mom helped buy most of the stuff I need to build the boxes out of birch ply-wood. I gave them to my dad on christmas eve that year. That was really my first project and I should build my wife a silver flute 2 way as well. Well good luck and you can't go wrong with these drivers. Mr. jeff

P.s. Update. The speakers are now up north and my dad had a friend come over and they went down stairs and my dad told him about it and they watched a movie. My dads friend asked if I was still building speakers. Just a good reminder if you take your time and build them right they will last a life time. Jm

Last edited:
The cones are generally pretty good. They are a bit more rigid than the average paper or carbon fiber, and they do have breakup nodes. The surrounds and frames of the Silver Flute woofers are also very good, but the motor assembly is generally low tech. Just a straight flat pole piece without any special geometry. As such, harmonic distortion is only average or slightly higher, and Le is kinda high too. Overall, the woofers are a good value, considering the low cost.

ps. The Silver flute planar tweeters suck however.

Here's one project with the 5.5":

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Zaph|Audio

This project is no longer available. For those that have saved copies of this project, please do not distribute.

What the hell kind of decision is that? Corporate? People want free plans dammit! :down:

I usually don't want to whine but...

I like the 4ohm 8" 93db driver crossed at 2khz.

I am running the w17rc38s08 (shielded 8ohm) right now crossed at 5khz 24db.
Granted dispersion narrows going past a couple of khz (6.5").
It is very good for the money, but I should cross it a bit lower.
I'm sure I could do better, but not for $30.
I think people liked a hivi driver more.

I couldn't get the 8" to cross at 5khz, just too hashy up there for my ears nowadays.

To me, the drivers sound smooth, non offensive.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.