How can I make a power amp from Sonic Impact?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am new to forum so I don't know if this was discussed earlier.I tried to eliminate the volume pot but I encountered some problems as follows:
1.Gain is too high.
2.Sound is thin but detailed.
3.Dynamics overly increased.

I guess I should be adding some resistors somewhere.
Can anybody help me?

Re: Did I undersand right?

hsu said:
So I have to replace 36K resistors 4 and 5 with 20K ones and connect the pot wires together,is that all? :att'n:

It's the input caps that are affecting the base. You need to replace them.....can't help on the gain question but I'm sure someone out there could advise.
I actually removed the 20K and replaced with 36K...not the other way around.

Pano, that's a good question actually...the wording and first diagram on your site show a 22K resistor but the schematic shows 36K?

Lee

You are right Lostcause, after checking with Tripath's data sheet,the original value is 20K actually...By the way why did you replace that resistor?Was that a modification,or did you change it into a dedicated amp?If so,I would like to hear your comments.

hsu said:
You are right Lostcause, after checking with Tripath's data sheet,the original value is 20K actually...By the way why did you replace that resistor?Was that a modification,or did you change it into a dedicated amp?If so,I would like to hear your comments.

I modified a sonic T with the 'classic' input mod on Michael's site. I jumped in just before the feedback resistor (36K) with a matching value to set the gain. This bypassed the entire input section and filters. This is soon to be directly wired to a PS1's DAC chip (as per the thread on the digital forum) via a pot. Then put it all in a single box! That's as pure a signal path as you can get I think?...unless someone knows a better way of altering the volume?

Lee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.