diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   which is best multimeter in the world? Fluke or extech? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/70705-multimeter-world-fluke-extech.html)

boxedin 30th December 2005 12:05 PM

which is best multimeter in the world? Fluke or extech?

Anyone?

pinkmouse 30th December 2005 12:09 PM

The one that you can find in your workshop when you need to measure something. ;)

AudioFreak 30th December 2005 12:12 PM

I wouldn't think twice about getting a fluke.

As Al already said, the best MM in the world is the one you have infront of you right when you need it. Sure beats all those others that are still in the shop.

I_Forgot 30th December 2005 04:12 PM

These days most of the Flukes come with a lifetime warranty. It is really hard to argue with that kind of customer support.

I_F

sagarverma 30th December 2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pinkmouse
The one that you can find in your workshop when you need to measure something. ;)

:smash:

gmarsh 30th December 2005 05:12 PM

I've got a Fluke 179, and it's great.

It's accurate, it can survive a 10 foot fall from a ladder onto concrete and not look or act any different, and it measures almost anything you'd ever want - volts, amps, temperature, frequency, capacitance...

Price tag aside (they're not your $10 Autozone DMM), I don't think you'd have any regrets for buying one.

Netlist 30th December 2005 05:29 PM

Fluke 87

My old one didn't survive a 1.6KV blast from the HV output stage of a TV. I didn't hesitate one second and ordered a new one which is my daily partner for more than seven years now.

Ouch, didn't mean to advertise. ;)

/Hugo

rcavictim 30th December 2005 05:34 PM

If it reads right, it's usually a Fluke. :D

Iliya 30th December 2005 10:01 PM

There is Fluke and everything else. I have used different DMMs but no other brand beats Fluke in terms of speed and accuracy.
Naturally this level of performance comes at a price.
Sometimes however one might get lucky like I have lately when I got brand new Fluke 85-III on close-out sale for $159.00 . And I think that was a mistake made by a store as at the same sale there was Fluke 83-III for $179.00.
For other mesurements like LCR, sound level etc. I am using Tenma meters. They are good enough for the money. Sometimes they are exactly the same meters as Extech, and I mean literaly exactly the same besides of label, but for much lower price.

guido 31st December 2005 11:47 AM

I have a Fluke 77 a long time (first model). I abused it many times and it still works. For example, made a powersupply with current limitter and tested it by setting the fluke to amps and used it to shorten the ps output. The display said 20 amps, which meant that the current limitter did not work :D It's 10 amps max btw, unfused :smash: Would not do this nowadays..

On an other occasion the selector switch broke. It was (then?) easy to get a new one from a local distributor and it was quite cheap to my supprise.