Suitable subwoofer to match FRS 8 Cyburg's Needle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy. Just built my first set of speakers - a pair of Cyburg's Needles with the original Visaton FRS 8 8 ohm speakers, which are easy to get in Australia. I'm planning to set them up for close listening, on either side of my computer desk.

I am really pleased with the sound, but they are a bit lacking in the lower bass area - Can sounds great, but Motorhead is not so good. Some kind of sub woofer under the desk would seem the best solution.

Since the Visaton are cheap and readily available, I was thinking about building one or two of the Alto Genesis sub (here) kits. They're a good size and a good price, and I think I've got the building bug, I just don't know if they'd be a good choice.

So, can anyone help me out with some advice?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

the alto sub you mention is not perfect for the Needle, because the low-pass is too high. The Needles go down to somewhere about 50 Hz. As this Sub uses a passive crossover, the low-pass and (even more critical) the relative volume can not be adjusted.

I would recommend an active Subwoofer system, doesn't need to be too big, maybe with 8' driver or even smaller. There are several nice kits available.
To improve the power handling of the Needles you could use a high-pass condensator of about 200-300 uF (you'll have to try). This will result in a high-pass frequency of about 100 Hz, which should match nicely to the Sub.

Nice greetings, Berndt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.