Chassis Manufacturer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,

I have a penny and giles pot I'm using as a passive preamp, but it doesn't have a home yet (

I am trying to find somewhere that I can purchase a prefabricated chassis that I can stick the pot into, and run some RCA's out the back. In a perfect world it would look snazzy, perhaps brushed aluminium or something...

If anyone knows of somewhere selling such a chassis, please let me know!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Chassis

Chech out Mark V Electronics. Their web site is weak, but they have tons of kits and chassis. They had a pre-amp one for around $60.00. Brushed aluminum. Cheapest prices I've seen anywhere. You may need to request a catalog, cause I don't remember seening chassis on the site.
They are in Montebello, CA.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I was sent this fantastic link from Mr William Stroud. The prices seem exceptionally reasonable!

Thought I might point out another source for an enclosure. Check out
http://www.par-metal.com See what you think of the "10-series". I was
thinking of purchasing one myself for a project I'm working on
(Sanders/Waldron style electrostatic hybrid). They've got the brushed
aluminum faceplate, handles, etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
If you want a really neat front panel without too much expense draw up your front panel on your computer including pot/switch/connector cross hairs, reverse it left to right print take down to your photocopy shop and get a clear thick film copy. When you reverse it and fit, the lettering will be inside so not prone to being rubbed off. Coloured panels look pretty good this way and quite cheap.

Richard,
That's a very good idea of making your own label for the front panel. I can draw it up on Acad, mirror it and then plot it out on Mylar, then I'm done! One question though, how do you glue it to the face plate without making a mess underneath the Mylar (it's clearly visible).

So far I have not read anybody mentioning about using glass for the top plate. Who does custom glass cutting? For power amp, one would probably want some kind of vent holes on the top.
I'm surprise that I haven't seen too many upscale audio company (except some pre-amps) that uses glass (strong glass) for the top plate to show off the interior. To me, some of the power amps, like Pass amps, looks absolutely beautiful in the inside!

Glass is dirt cheap.... just go to any glass provider and give them the specs; they can do the cutting. I once needed several pieces for a HV terminal standoff and didn't spend more than $5.

DRILLING glass, OTOH, is a whole different story. You need speciall bits (designed for ceramic, glass and the like) with a tip that looks a lot like an arrow. About $5 each :(... not to mention the patience needed.

glass might be neat. I for one do not like the look of electrical parts though. That said, I did use 3/16" clear lexan for the back panel of my leach amp. I am not quite finished with the enclosure because the guy who built my chassis gave me unfinished top and bottom plates and in my amateur attempt to finish them i messed them up. so I am waiting until he can bring me the proper tools and polishes to do it right before i finish. the lexan is pretty easy to work with if you've got power tools that can cut a straight line. it scratches easy, but if you cover it in masking tape it protects really well until you are finished working on it. I have drilled holes in the lexan and sort of flush mounted wide angle blue led's. it gives a pretty neat effect.

a tip i will suggest is dont get anything stainless steel with the intention of modifiying it at a later date. The chassis i had built looks really good and all, but good god was it a PITA to work with. went through about 5 cobalt drill bits for a total of about 30 holes and ended up scratching it where one of them broke.

I have thought about using a tinted/smoked plexiglas for the top panel so you couldn't see inside until a light was turned on. glass would be a lot better for this because it wouldn't sag in the middle.

I am really anxious to complete my leach amp and photograph it.

jt

jteef beat me to it. Yes, Plexiglas/Lexan/whatever works well, and is easy to work with.
Don't neglect the idea of using it for a front, as opposed to a top. Power LEDs etc. shine nicely through the plastic without even having to drill holes. You can paint the backside to mask anything you don't want seen.
(Can you say McIntosh?)

Grey

GRollins said:
jteef beat me to it. Yes, Plexiglas/Lexan/whatever works well, and is easy to work with.
Don't neglect the idea of using it for a front, as opposed to a top. Power LEDs etc. shine nicely through the plastic without even having to drill holes. You can paint the backside to mask anything you don't want seen.
(Can you say McIntosh?)
Grey

Hughes & Kettner (guitar and bass amp manufacturers) use a plexiglass front "engraved" with the company logo that is lit up using blue LEDS... looks quite neat :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.