Is it ok to coat the cone AND surround with laquer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about coating the drivers in my line array. But it would be too tedious to somehow tape off everything and only coat the cone. And i'm not sure how nice it would look when done. I'd like to just spray the whole front and be done with it. Since the drivers are rear mounted all you see is the cone and surround. I'm just worried about solvents in the spray hurting the rubber surround. These are NSB's btw. I have 32 to do, and i'm looking for an easy way to do it.

Yes the spray might affect the surround . If the coating is hard it will crack the rubber surround during operation . End of speaker !
It could also dissolve the rubber and deform it depending on what the solvent in the spray is. Brushing it is possibly a better method. Hopefully you will not touch the rubber section.
Even if it does not dissolve the rubber it will alter its properties and the TS parameters of the speaker. Reflections into the cone via the surround will also probably be affected and thus cause changes in the speaker's response.

You could probably keep all this in mind and coat one speaker and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.