Kef Cadenza.....New Cabinet shape.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the drivers from a pair of Kef Cadenza's and I want to build a new cabinet for them to make them more domesticaly appealing than the origional's.

These speakers use an 8" B200 mid/bass unit in a 45ltr box together with a B139 pasive bass radiator. Could I put the ABR on the back of the speakers or would that cancel out the output from the main driver?

If I were to put all the drivers on the front panel and tilted the cabinet back slightly (both for looks and to time align the mid/bass with the tweeter) how would work with the passive radiator (it has no cone as such, it is flat, see here ), as its "center" would be quite a way further forwards than the other drivers (providing I mounted it below the mid/bass).

Wife is not to bothered what they look like, but they must look differant to the usual boring box, she rather likes the Sonus Faber "lute". I am a carpenter by trade so almost any shape cabinet is possible, but my electronic and computer skills are very limited (and thats putting it mildly!)

You can put the radiator on the front or the back, no real difference.

If you time align and are considering the radiator (which you don't need to though because the wavelength will be so long) then take the flat bit as the reference point. The reference on the tweeter will be the edge of the dome by the faceplate, and of the woofer it will be the inner edge of the cone by the dustcap.

Although you should be aware that KEF probably placed the drivers strategically and the crossover performs time aligning with the specific driver geometry, hence you should place them exactly the same in the new cabinet. I don't know if the Cadenza's do, but my Callinda's (which I think are the same era) certainly do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.