Changing tweeter faceplate?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Helloo

I got two brand new Scanspeak 2905/9700 tweeters.

I want to fit them into a loudspeaker cabinet, which only have space for a oval faceplate and not the standard round at 10.4cm.

My questen:
I loose the 4 screws, replace the original faceplate, with a new, in 2mm alu, which have another shape.

Is it ok or do I chance the "sound" off the tweeter??

Best regards

Kim

You won't overly change the sound since the 9700 faceplate is fairly minimal. Just make sure the new plate is the same thickness as the old one so the screws don't go too far into the magnet assembly, and bevel the hole a little bit to avoid any possible resonances (shouldn't happen, but why take a chance when 10 minutes with a metal file can give you peace of mind?).

You'd be in a different situation with the Scan 9900: there the shape of the faceplate creates part of the Revelator sound, although I believe that's not such a good thing as the short horn might be to blame for what some people see as its aggressive sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.