njm4556 op amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have the njm4556 for headphone output on my adcom GFP 565 preamp which the manual states 100 ohm impeadance but, the radio shack phones i just purchased have 60 ohm impeadance? are there better choices for op amp? or maybe add buffers such as LT1010, or buf634t which i have both of? if buffers would be best, anyone know of any Links where i could find out how to apply the buffers? thanks, crippledchicken :)

The BUF634 datasheet is very good and explains how to boost op-amps with it.

Any normal op-amp would be struggling to drive less than 600 ohms. I think OPA134 series will drive headphones OK directly. You'd have to check the datasheet for the NJM to confirm it's driving ability. You need to see what voltage the chip is running from then check the output current limit graphs.

richie00boy said:
The BUF634 datasheet is very good and explains how to boost op-amps with it.

Any normal op-amp would be struggling to drive less than 600 ohms. I think OPA134 series will drive headphones OK directly. You'd have to check the datasheet for the NJM to confirm it's driving ability. You need to see what voltage the chip is running from then check the output current limit graphs.
hi there, the njm4556 has lm78/79 15v. regulators driving it. could the opa 2134 also, maybe work since it's a dual as i have some of them? thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi crippledchicken,
You will find the 4556 is used in almost every product without an amplifier to drive headphones. It was designed for this.

If you want better performance, I would suggest building an outboard unit. There is only so much you can do with a single op amp to get rid of heat. Then you can build better power supplies and use the better op amps to full effect.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi crippledchicken,
You will find the 4556 is used in almost every product without an amplifier to drive headphones. It was designed for this.

If you want better performance, I would suggest building an outboard unit. There is only so much you can do with a single op amp to get rid of heat. Then you can build better power supplies and use the better op amps to full effect.

-Chris
hi anatech i think youre right, i have seen this chip several times used to drive headphones. i think i'll be checking into building an external amp. Thanks, crippledchicken

:)

Dominique said:
There are certainly better performing op-amps out there... (ok, I didn't look at the NJM4556 datasheet yet :rolleyes: )
Do you need a DIP-8 or SO-8 package?
hi Dominique, what i need are the DIP-8. i have, opa2132, opa2134, opa2604, lm6172,, AD826, LT1364, as well as the LT1010, and BUF634T buffers on hand if any of these could be implemented for better performance? thanks for any ideas, crippledchicken

I had in mind to simply replace the op-amp for a stronger one, but after checking my gathered data, I couldn't find op-amps in a DIP package better than the NJM4556 (low impedance output), but only in SOIC and TO packages. Most of them are high speed, so it's not clear if they would work fine without tweaks in your existing circuit anyway.

Either you simply try your new headphones and listen if there's more distortion, build an outboard unit like anatech proposed, add a little pcb with a buffer in your preamp (then you could replace the NJM4556 for a weaker, but better op-amp), or use a SOIC op-amp with a SOIC to DIP adapter (but it's not guaranteed to work fine in your existing preamp (because all those strong SOICS on my list were high speed :( )

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!
Cheers,
Dominique

Dominique said:
I had in mind to simply replace the op-amp for a stronger one, but after checking my gathered data, I couldn't find op-amps in a DIP package better than the NJM4556 (low impedance output), but only in SOIC and TO packages. Most of them are high speed, so it's not clear if they would work fine without tweaks in your existing circuit anyway.

Either you simply try your new headphones and listen if there's more distortion, build an outboard unit like anatech proposed, add a little pcb with a buffer in your preamp (then you could replace the NJM4556 for a weaker, but better op-amp), or use a SOIC op-amp with a SOIC to DIP adapter (but it's not guaranteed to work fine in your existing preamp (because all those strong SOICS on my list were high speed :( )

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!
Cheers,
Dominique
Hi Dominique, i replaced the op amp with the opa2132p and added the buf634t buffers and the difference is amazing! no problems at all driving the phones sounds great, and no back ground hiss or any type of audible distortion. thanks very much for your help, crippledchicken

anatech said:
Hi crippledchicken,
I'm glad that worked out for you. Did you add a little sub PCB for the buffers, or put the entire circuit on it's own board?

I didn't think another chip existed for that purpose.

-Chris
hi there, i just added another small pcb close to the op amp, containing the buffers and also 1k uf and .1 uf stacked film bypasses to buffer ps pins to ground. thanks for your help!

anatech said:
Hi crippledchicken,
I might try that myself. I use 600 ohm AKG K240's, so it's easier for me, but the better quality op amps should sound better.

-Chris
yeah, it's sure worth trying. i get great dynamic transients now. some songs ,the snare drum really pops hard with authority when cranked up and the bass is great also! good luck, crippledchicken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.