Gainclone on steroids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,
Since we all agree Gainclones sounds good, why not to go step
further and do something about main complain they receive.
Not enough power or in some cases current.
Why not simply use Gainclones as driver stage and add some
power transistors. Gainclone is powerful enough to drive
many output transistors. We could use one chip in complementary
output topology or two chips (one in inverting mode and one in non-inverting mode) for quasi-complementary topo.
Also, since drive stage has very low distortions output may be
with no feedback. My quick calculation shows it is possible to get
200W with separate B+ for outputs. If you prefer bipolar or maybe mosfets no problem. Also a-class is possible.
Any comments?

Something like this.

Attachments

• 2005-11-04 21-33-29.jpg
    2005-11-04 21-33-29.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,018
Hi Pinkmouse,
That's what I am talking about. I guess I didn't dig deep enough to
find this tread ( so many of them). Thanks for the link.
Peranders,
Yes, 200W with 4 chips is possible but it will work only for friendly loads.
If you have e-stat. probably not.
This way current possibilities are almost unlimited.
Regards.

120W is more than enough for almost anything including electrostatics. Only requirement is
high current capability ( for e-stats) and that is hard ( read impossible) to do with chips unless
You go to the extremes and parallel massive amount of chips. My idea is that it is easier
to employ output transistors (cheap and reliable) and also you can make class-A if you wish.
In past I was looking down to such hybrid designs but with new generation of truly Hi-Fi
chips it is possible to make good amp.
Regards.

Steve Eddy said:

This will give you a Gainclone on steroids:

Apex PA-03

:cool:

se

Yes, these things are pretty hefty. I used six of PA94 to make the amplifier for my thesis project. An pulse driven electrostatic motor.
This thing can generate 860Vpp swing. Nice stuff, too bad these do not offer all the nice spike protection circuits like the LM series. The bulky heatsinks weren't even enough, I had to force cooling using four 8cm fans. They operate on regulated 450V rails using TL783 ICs.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,047
Hum,would something like this be fesable for a large amp?
Say a LM3886(or similar) driving 6 pairs of parallel MJ15011/12's for outputs?

I've got about a dozen pairs burning a hole in my bench. :D
If they aren't fakes,that is.

I was either thinking of that,or hacking the output stage of an existing amp (from the stack) into a driver for the MJ15011/12 outputs,something like a triple darlington setup,perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.