Adding a supertweeter for FR over 10k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had experiences with adding a supertweeter (with a cap to cut the LF) to a driver which naturally rolls off over 10kHz? It seems to be hard to find a single driver which can do bass to 50hz or lower and still be smooth in the HF. So is adding a supertweeter a better way to do it - like Hammer Dynamics speaker?
Since a 1" tweeter will be beaming over 10kHz anyhow is is hard to integrate the drivers? Any timing or coherence issues?
Maybe the best corollary would be the sound differences between the WR-125 with a supertweeter, and FR-125. Identical drivers except the way the HF is produced.
Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am a believer that if you can get away with a 6dB XO then go for it. Mind you, you have to have drivers that go well together so the overlap is integrated. I would recommend you try it with a cap and if more separation is needed then go to cap and coil for 12dB. If you have to go steeper than that either the drivers aren't well matched or there is a power handling issue. In one of my sets, I have a titanium dome that I cross over with a simple 1.5 mfd cap. Sort of like a super tweeter. Is that what you were asking?

Cal

Hi Cal,
Yes that's what I was asking. How much will adding a supertweeter mess up the sound as compared to 1) full range or 2) 2-way with a sub x-over at 100-200 hz.
I was discussing this with a friend who has Fostex F200A because he requires bass to 20-30hz. But I guess the sound is not quite right and before spendsing $1,200 on Supravox drivers I mentioned the option of a driver with an added supertweeter or a subwoofer. But the sub would mess up harmonics and timing much worse than a supertweeter.
I didn't recommend whizzer's because they always mess up the sound to me with funny resonances, etc. Also there are a lot more options when going with 2 drivers.
The hammer dynamics is a typical design.

hammerdynamics

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have done quite a bit of this. At those high of frequencies the ear isn't as discriminating.

We actually just built a speaker specifically for testing WR+budget tweeter vrs FR125. Check the Bipolar Bipoles thread.

Really, really close WR+tweeter a bit more sparkle and better HF dispersion, FR maybe a bit better imaging. A better tweeter might shift the difference, but the little ApexJr is quite the performer for this kind of ap.

Takes a bit of playing to get the right cap value, but the methodology is straight forward.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.