• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AY7/6SN7 preamp PSU check

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12Ay7/6SN7 preamp PSU check

Hi all-
I was wondering if someone could give this PSU a look over to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it? It looks ok to me, but I'm still learning.
I saw this preamp from Joel on another thread, and it looked simple enought to make as I have most of the parts.
My difference is I'm using a PT from an old Hallicrafters S-40A (don't worry, it's my spare parts donor and in no way pristine).
The spec's on the transformer are 330-0-330 secondary @67mA, so it has a little more voltage than I need. This is the reason that I had to change the original power supply posted with this schematic.
Thanks in advance.
Glenn

Here's the PSU:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's the circuit:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, you have 1.5K between the rectifier and the input cap, so you're unlikely to have an issue- the ripple current is limited by that resistor.

To get ripple, look at the voltage across C2/I1 after the initial settling in (a 5 second reporting delay will do fine). The sim gives min, max, and the difference. That difference is the ripple.

Well, it's all a matter of the S/N ratio you want to achieve. What you need to do is calculate the expected noise from the power supply rejection. In the case of a cathode follower, the rejection is approximately mu, so with a 6SN7 (mu = 20), you'd expect the ripple to contribute about 2.3mV of noise.

I don't know the 12AY7 specs offhand (I'm not at my own computer at the moment so I can't grab the data sheet), but what you want to do is get the plate resistance and mu at the tube's operating point. With those numbers in hand, you can see that there's a voltage divider formed by the load resistance (essentially, the 100K plate resistor) and the tube's source impedance, rp + (u+1)Rk, where Rk is the cathode resistor. Using a tube whose specs I do know from memory as an example (12AX7), the plate resistance is about 60K, the mu is about 100, so the source resistance would be 60K + (101) 1.5K = 210K. In that case, the rejection would be something like 210/(100 + 210), i.e., not very good. So you'd get a contribution of another 30mV or so from that stage. Referenced to a 3Vpeak output, that's a S/N of about 40dB.

Hopefully, the 12AY7 will calculate out better....

I'm of the opinion that S/N ought to be better than -100dB. After all, we have sources with that kind of dynamic range, so why let the line amp throw away what our front-end eforts have given us?

In the case of my preamp (the Heretical), the ripple-induced noise is down in the microvolt range. Subjectively, I feel that I can pick up more low-level detail because of that. Fortunately, it's not hard to get ridiculously low levels of ripple.

Having built this a few years back as my first project I can now look back and say it was ok but nothing to write home about.
I was also experiencing power supply ripple at the time and questioning the design. The answers I was getting regarding the hum I was experiencing was there was a grounding problem (mine). The only thing I can say in its favor is it is different. Any 12B4, 6SN7, 5687, or probably anything else will kick its butt to the curb. My suggestion is to move along to the "Aikido" and build it. It is great and holds the promise of tube rolling with great results. There is a power supply that has low ripple that is well thought out.

Maybe this will work.

I built the circuit on top.

Attachments

• frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 869
"Joel was kind enough to send me this suggestion also..."

Although I didn't design that PSU. But I do think the direct coupled circuit would be an improvement. It's also simpler.

My gripe about both circuits - and any other RC coupled design used to drive a low impedance like headphones - is that they rely on the load to generate the NFB which improves the linearity. With 100 ohm phones, you essentially have a 6SN7 (or two) with a 100 ohm load. What do you think that's going to sound like?

The fact that a circuit like this sounds almost identical to the headphone amp on the player itself says a lot about the equally poor quality of the solid state version, and even more about the lack of power needed for most 'phones.

There really is only one way to drive a low impedance (probably reactive) load with vacuum tubes, and do it linearly, and that's with a transformer.

Save the cathode follower for buffering a high source resistance.

Joel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.